Alabama - Alabama (AL),
Community Development Institute Head Start
$10.44 an hour
Fixed Salary: $ 10.44 per hour
Weeks per Year: 52
Hours Per Week: 40
$10.44 Hourly HS/GED
JOB TITLE: Custodian
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Facilities/Transportation Manager
This position is responsible for ensuring clean, safe, functional facilities by performing cleaning and maintenance activities as well as some repair activities including plumbing, electrical, carpentry and painting when professional licensure is not required.
A. Planning And Training
- Collects information; participates in planning, upgrading and minor repairs of facilities.
- Prepares estimates of the material and labor costs of maintenance projects.
- Acquires knowledge of federal, state and local safety and building code requirements related to Head Start/Early Head Start facilities within first month on the job, including, but is not restricted to, OSHA and MSDS chemical inventory, “Right to Know” training, etc.
- Cleans facilities on a daily basis and ensures that assigned facilities are clean and free of hazards.Cleans classrooms, hallways, floors, bathrooms, offices, entrances, etc.
- Performs routine maintenance such as replacing light bulbs and maintaining equipment used in the course of work.
- Reports safety, sanitation, and fire hazards to supervisor and/or staff person in charge of facilities.
- Performs routine maintenance of buildings and grounds during program breaks and more often, as needed.
- Performs outdoor tasks such as snow removal, sweeping steps, porches and drives, maintaining parking lot, mowing lawns, trimming shrubs and trees, raking gravel or leaves, clearing parking areas, etc.
- Maintains cooperative relationships with fellow employees, building staff, landlords, supervisor, administrators, students, and the general public.
- Performs minor plumbing, painting, carpentry and some electrical repairs or repair work in assigned facilities, where a professional license is not required.
- Participates in job related meetings when requested, such as center Safety Committees.
- Takes precautions to protect own health and safety as well as the health and safety of children, families, and staff and to protect equipment and facilities.
- Participates in “Right to Know” training and informs supervisor if MSDS sheets need to be replaced or added.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The minimum requirement is that the individual be 18 years of age. This is an entry-level position requiring no previous education or experience unless there is a local or state regulation that requires a high school diploma or G.E.D. A high school diploma or G.E.D. is preferred.