Alabama - Alabama (AL),
Community Development Institute Head Start
Fixed Salary: $ 8.36 per hour
Weeks per Year: 47
Hours Per Week: 40
$8.36 Hourly HS/GED
JOB TITLE: Program Aide
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Center Supervisor
This position works as a part of a team to assist in activities in the areas of the classroom, kitchen and bus and/or to serve as a disabilities aide as needed. The position contains elements of job descriptions of positions with titles similar classroom aide, janitor, and kitchen aide and as a disabilities aide providing support for children with disabilities. Works with typically developing children and/or children with special needs/disabilities. The position may be reassigned to various classrooms/centers/bus routes as deemed necessary for program operations. This position may receive content area technical support and training from the staff person responsible for center supervision, teacher, kitchen staff and/or program managers/specialist/coordinators.
- Classroom Aide
- Assists classroom staff in all classroom activities, field trips and outdoor activities included in lesson plans.
- Dress in clothing which is appropriate for outdoor activity and all weather conditions and be prepared to go outdoors daily.
- Assists in developing materials and providing activities related to the cultural background of the children and families served.
- Helps supervise at mealtime, eating with the children to encourage good nutrition and social skills.
- Helps keep the classroom and its contents clean and orderly.
- Assists the teacher in any aspect of the program as the need arises (e.g., at Family Nights, copying newsletters, cutting out classroom materials, making phone calls, etc.).
- Serves as a temporary substitute in the periodic absence of the assistant teacher or teacher.
- Janitorial Aide Services
- Empties trash or garbage containers if needed before the custodian or janitor services.
- Sanitizes surfaces, picks up and puts away materials in the classroom or kitchen in order to maintain a safe and organized environment.
- Serves as janitor in the absence
- Completes routine kitchen/dining room/food chores as assigned (e.g., dishwashing, portioning foods, taking and logging temperature of foods received from vendors, etc.).
- Prepares necessary food and serving items for service prior to or after use.These duties may include the preparation of food to meet the needs of children with special needs or disabilities.
- Participates in food service clean up, inventory and other food service tasks as requested.
- Substitutes for regular Cook or Assistant Cook as needed.
- Assists with inventory maintenance of all necessary supplies, food and equipment used for food services operations.
- Assists with the processing and storage of food and food related items as they are delivered.
- Assists in carrying out a financially successful food service operation by helping to control food and labor costs.
- Assists with logging meals/snacks in the menu book following USDA/CACFP required documentation for food purchased, prepared and served.
- Supports staff/parents in preparing and cleaning up after meals/snacks for meetings, planning sessions and other special events as requested.
- Ensures that dishes are returned to the kitchen or food service vendor transport boxes for cleaning and preparation for the next meal.
- Notifies supervisor of any safety, health issues or concerns.
- Participates in ongoing training in food preparation and nutrition as requested.
- Follows the established system for cleaning to ensure that the kitchen and storage rooms are kept in a clean and sanitary manner.
- Reports any kitchen equipment not in good working order to supervisor to ensure the kitchen remains safe and hazard free.
- Prepares food in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Responsible for complying with all local, state and federal standards regarding hygiene and sanitation.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The minimum requirement is a HS Diploma or GED. Some states may require additional requirements for kitchen aide duties (i.e., kitchen permit). Bilingual preferred.