Principal Laboratory Technician
Bessemer - Alabama (AL), 35020
U.S. Pipe, A Forterra Company
- Maintains machine shop, product testing building, department’s office building, and department’s truck. Serves as building custodian.
- Performs machining for product development, quality assurance, coatings/linings developmental and monitoring activities (materials: metals, wood, plastics, rubber)
(equipment: milling machines, band saws, portable power saws, drills, lathes, grinders).
- Assists with product developmental testing activities.
- Performs welding/brazing for product and coatings/linings developmental activities and shop infrastructure.
- Maintains supply materials for shop and office facilities (project and custodial related).
- Maintains building security and fire safety systems (key issuance records, weekly building fire safety inspections); maintains records for department’s truck usage.
- Performs mechanical testing (tensile, compression, impact, bending tests, etc.) for product development and quality assurance activities including product complaint related
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal Process Engineer
- Regular, timely attendance to meet customer/company needs in an efficient and effective manner.
- Performs special projects or assignments as directed.
KNOWLEDGE, DEMONSTRATED SKILLS & ABILITIES
Requires a high school diploma or equivalent. Must have machining and welding skills, custodial maintenance skills, and the ability to perform plumbing and electrical circuit troubleshooting and minor repairs.
Scope Data/Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Employee will be working in an office environment as well as significant time spent in the plant exposing the employee to Foundry operations. The employee will be exposed to the following working conditions: Extreme Heat and Cold, Noise, Vibration, Oils, and Atmospheric Conditions such as Dust, Fumes, and Metallic Particles. The employee will be required to perform the following actions (from time to time): Standing, Walking, Balancing, Stooping, Kneeling, Reaching, Talking, Seeing, Hearing and Sitting.