Troy - Alabama (AL), 36079
Primarily responsible for supervising and coordinating daily hatchery activities, and ensuring sufficient quantities of healthy chicks are delivered to growers while meeting the demands of processing plant, in a safe and cost effective manner. Responsible for compliance with all company policies, NCC Animal Guidelines, and local, state and federal policies, laws and regulations.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Supervise and coordinate employee activities: receiving and preparing eggs for incubation; incubating, caring for, and hatching eggs; grading, vaccinating, preparing and shipping chicks.
- Supervise and direct daily hatchery activities: establishing employee work schedules and procedures while providing daily leadership.
- Communicate and coordinate with contract service providers where applicable.
- Monitor chick care, maintenance, incubation, hatching, transfer and processing activities.
- Monitor and prevent chick illnesses and injuries, following veterinarian guidance and instruction.
- Monitor eggs, adjust incubator thermometers and gauges, and chart recorders detecting equipment malfunctions and verifying compliance with incubator temperature and ventilation standards.
- Arrange transport of chicks, equipment and other supplies.
- Oversee processing of chicks verifying adherence to customer orders and shipping instructions.
- Review egg farm pick-ups and chick deliveries with Breeder and Broiler Managers.
- Perform administrative duties: collecting, preparing and maintaining records.
- Review reports and perform corrective measures.
- Maintain hatchery sanitation daily.
- Direct and assign maintenance and repair of hatchery equipment and facility.
- Supervise and ensure quality of Embrex program.
- Provide accurate and timely Quality Control reports.
- Ensure Animal Welfare Program is followed.
- Maintain supply inventory.
- Ensure safe operation of hatchery and hold safety meetings.
- Comply with all company policies, NCC Animal Welfare Guidelines, and local, state and federal laws, and regulations.
- Perform all other
- 15 – 20 hourly and salaried employees.
- This is a Leader of People position with required competencies: Delegation, Conflict Management, Planning, Sizing-Up People and Customer Focus.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma AND Minimum 4 years’ poultry industry experience OR Associate’s Degree in Poultry Science, Agricultural Science, Biology or related field from an accredited institution AND Minimum 2 years’ poultry industry experience.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Poultry Science, Agricultural Science, Biology or related field from an accredited institution.
- 4+ years’ hatchery or relative poultry industry experience.
- 2+ years’ supervisory experience within similar environment.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS:
- General and practical poultry science knowledge.
- Ability to lead, develop and motivate people.
- Demonstrated knowledge of advanced math functions and skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial terms and reporting.
- General and practical computer skills with basic knowledge of MS Office programs.
- Solid organizational skills, with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated sound work ethic, honesty and moral character.
REQUIRED PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS:
- Understand and interpret data while drawing logical conclusions based on available inputs.
- Critical thinking skills in standardized situations as well as non-routine problems.
- Manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and prioritize work accordingly.
- Basic reasoning skills and carries out instructions furnished in written, oral and diagram form.