Motor Vehicle Title Registration Specialist Entry
Pueblo - Colorado (CO), 81003
Pueblo County, CO
Estimated salary $2,734 - $4,100 a month
Performs a variety of processing and customer service duties in accordance with federal, state and local statutes in the administration of motor vehicle titles, registrations and related documents. Primarily responsible for processing all revenue directives governing motor vehicle titling and registration in Colorado, as well as cash management associated with tax revenue and fees as required by law.
Essential Job Functions
- Processes applications and issues motor vehicle titles and licenses at the counter; determines type of title and license needed; calculates and collects appropriate sales tax and license fees, enforces heavy vehicle use tax programs; verifies accuracy of all documentation submitted and ensure compliance with motor vehicle statutes, rules and regulations.
- Responds to customer complaints and issues and explains statutes, policies and procedures that apply to each situation.
- Handles complex documentation issues including mobile homes, special mobile machinery, salvage and duplicate titles, dealer registrations and multiple plate issuances, resolves issues involving customers, financial institutions and dealerships regarding regulations relating to licensing and registration.
- Issues titles, license plates, persons with disability placards or temporary permits according to the laws of the State of Colorado; checks and verifies documentation received from the public to make sure it is legal and correct.
- Processes registrations for renewals; applies for salvage titles, bond titles, homemade or assigned identification numbers and duplicate titles; files liens on titles as needed; keeps record of all titles and security agreements.
- Inputs appropriate information into computer system to process each transaction; collects fees and charges from the public; follows up on paperwork rejected by the State.
- Operates cash tending system, maintain cash drawers, enter check, cash and credit payments accurately to ensure end of day balancing; balances and prepares deposit for individual cash drawer.
- Maintains inventory of necessary forms, license plates and tabs.
- Communicates with public, dealerships, finance companies and banks regarding the application procedures, license plate renewals and other motor vehicle issues.
- Responses to customer complaints and explains statutes, policies and procedures that apply to each situation.
- Contacts financial institutions or dealerships regarding customer paperwork; figures all sales tax due.
- Processes all incoming mail; review documents received for completeness and accuracy; prepares for data entry; processes mortgage mail, renewals and drop-off work received.
- Processes registrations involving Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), Special Mobile Machinery (SMM), Total Vehicle Weight (TVW) and the added special requirements for these vehicles.
- Processes all fleet registration accounts; acts as a customer service representative to companies in need of registering a large number of vehicles.
- Effectively writes and sends correspondence to customers explaining fees, reason for rejection and policies and procedures.
- Maintains files and records required by Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Enforces secure and verifiable identification requirements.
- Performs VIN inspections.
- Works at any Clerk and Recorder department when necessary.
- Financial responsibility for cash handling and bookkeeping and accounting.
- Performs other duties as appropriate or necessary for performance of the job.
- Fills in for other staff as necessary and/or required.
- Attends meetings, classes and trainings as required or requested by supervisor.
- Encouraged to recommend changes to improve procedures that would result in efficiencies, cost savings and safety.
- Communicates actively, clearly and regularly with supervisor and co-workers on all work-related topics.
- Understands, observes and complies with all Governmental, Pueblo County and Departmental policies, procedures and protocols when performing job duties.
- Possesses excellent oral and written skills to communicate effectively.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with Pueblo County employees from same or different departments/offices, entities and customers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Uses reference materials such as Polk, NADA, Blue Books, Registration, Title and training manuals.
- Routine software and business applications including, but not limited to, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software and databases.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including typewriters, computers, computer software, calculators, copiers, scanners and facsimile machines.
- Basic PC functions and ability to learn specialized vehicle licensing title and registration system and processes, CSTARS.
- Local office procedures and policies and knowledge of office functions such as distribution/separation of mail, providing general customer assistance, ability to answer all basic customer questions and be familiar with local general government organizations and office locations.
- Fundamental principles of bookkeeping, cashiering and record keeping.
- Follows verbal and written instructions.
- Operates and maintain a computerized database system.
- Performs mathematical computations and effectively operate a ten-key calculator.
- Provides professional customer service to clients and public.
- Effectively respond to conflict situations and people in conflict.
- Works extended hours as needed to keep up with workload.
- Required to work evenings, weekends and some holidays as needed.
- Compiles and maintains a variety of computer records and files.
- Performs duties independently without close supervision.
- Ability to learn technical terms pertinent to the issuance of motor vehicle titles and registrations. Scope and application of laws and regulations pertaining to motor vehicle licensing programs.
- Ability to gain knowledge of title and registration requirements for the following; application of title, duplicate title, salvage titles, rebuilders titles, abandoned vehicles, lien filing, register a vehicle, knowledge of all the different plate types and regulations for each plate type, buying and selling a vehicle, title forms and title documents, secure and verifiable identification requirements, vehicles purchased from a dealer vs. purchased from a private individual, out of state titles, registering vehicles from out of state, temporary permits, proof of insurance requirements. Motor vehicle applications required to complete a motor vehicle transaction on the State computer system.
- Ability to interpret, enforce and apply Federal and State of Colorado laws, and Pueblo County Clerk and Recorder rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
High School Diploma or GED equivalency required.
Minimum of one year of successful completion of vocational or technical school preferred.
Must successfully pass background check.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
Occasionally (Less than 25% of the time)
Vehicles-Drives automobile and/or truck.
Frequently (25% to 50% of the time)
Climbing-Ascends or descends using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
Stooping-Bends body downward and forward. Requires use of lower extremities and back muscles.
Reaching-Extends hand(s) and arms(s) in any directions.
Handling-Seizes, holds, grasps, turns or otherwise works with hand(s).
Regularly (50% to 100 % of the time)
Strength-Lifts, carries, push, pulls or otherwise moves objects up to 25 pounds.
Strength-Sits with brief periods of walking and/or standing.
Fingering-Picks, pinches, types or otherwise works primarily with fingers rather than the whole hand or arm as in handling.
Equipment Utilized-Office equipment such as computer, phone, fax, copiers, scanners, adding machine, etc.
Strength-Lifts, carries, push, pulls or otherwise moves objects from 25 to 50 pounds.
Strength -Lifts, carries, push, pulls or otherwise moves objects from 50 to 75 pounds.
Strength-Walks and/or stands with brief periods of sitting.
Ability to be deputized required.
Non bargaining unit