Certified Professional Coder
Newark - Delaware (DE), 19713
Delaware Center for Maternal and Fetal Medicine
As a Certified Professional Coder, you will code outpatient records for the purpose of reimbursement, data collection and compliance with federal regulations according to diagnosis, operation, and procedure on a concurrent basis.
This non exempt position is responsible for coding medical records with accuracy and in a timely manner.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- You will be required to read notes and viewpoint reports prepared by the physicians, sonographers, nurses and nurse practitioner to ensure that these contain accurate and complete documentation.
- Promptly notify the sonographers and if necessary the manager of the sonographers should there be any discrepancies between the documentation and the CPT, HCPC and ICD-10 codes that they have supplied.
- Query sonographers and/or the manager when code assignments are not straightforward or documentation in the record is inadequate, ambiguous, or unclear for coding purposes.
- Review the records and be sure the assigned codes accurately describe the documented diagnosis and procedures according to correct coding guidelines.
- Review the records to identify secondary complications and co-morbid conditions.
- Able to demonstrate working knowledge of CPT, HCPC and ICD-10 coding.
- Demonstrated knowledge of human anatomy, physiology, medical terminology and surgical terminology.
- Knowledge of coding compliance policies, official coding guidelines, regulatory requirements and internal policies and procedures affecting the coding process.
- Review the medical record to assure specificity of diagnoses, procedures and appropriate/optimal reimbursement for facility and professional charges.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced staff.
- Maintains an excellent understanding of the eClinical Works scheduling and billing system.
- Code a minimum of 80 claims per day
- Displays comprehensive knowledge of coding procedures.
- Demonstrates effective use of medical terminology.
- Demonstrates effective customer service skills.
- Utilizes effective time management skills to set priorities and multi task.
- Demonstrates effective organizational and critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrates effective use of organizational policies, procedures, and systems.
- Demonstrates effective communication and interpersonal skills for appropriately handling stressful or difficult situations.
- Demonstrates dependability and initiative as a member of a team.
- Maintains the strictest of confidentiality with all PHI.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Certified Professional Coder Credential
- Certified Professional Coder – Credential – currently certified
- Minimum two years experience including CPT, HCPC and ICD-10 coding experience.
- Prior Electronic Healthcare Records experience preferred.
- Ability to operate computers, and general office equipment (copier, fax, scanner), and multi line telephones.
Job Type: Full-time