Youth Development Worker (Summer/Seasonal)
Saint Petersburg - Florida (FL),
City of St. Petersburg
Estimated salary $12.73 - $19.38 an hour
Applicant pool candidates will be considered for any available openings by applying online at www.stpete.org/jobs. Returning Summer Staff or candidates interested in working for a specific Summer Program should contact the applicable Recreation Center for detailed application instructions.
This is recreation and youth development work in monitoring activities, planning programs, and maintaining Parks and Recreation facilities in a safe and efficient manner. Work involves actively engaging youth in positive character building and youth development activities while providing leadership and instruction in games, sports, crafts, and other programs and activities. Work requires the use of sound judgment when setting task priorities and responding to participants needs; the ability to work effectively with minimal supervision; and strong initiative to independently achieve objectives and carry out activities in accordance with established policies, regulations and procedures.
Pay Rate: $12.73 – $19.38 Hourly
Close Date: Open Until Filled
- Possess a valid high school diploma or GED equivalency.
- Have some knowledge of methods involved in conducting and supervising recreation activities.
- Be able to resolve interpersonal disputes with firmness and impartiality.
- Be able to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Successfully meet the State of Florida good moral character and Level II background screening standards (Florida State Statutes 435.01-435.06).
- Successfully complete required Child Care Licensing Training Courses within established timeframe.
Desirable Qualifications. Preferred
- Have some experience serving the public, including some experience interacting tactfully with participants and their families to explain rules and procedures, and to encourage cooperation.
- Have some experience in planning and conducting organized youth development and recreational programs and activities.
- Have some knowledge of popular recreational activities, including games and sports.
- Have some knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of youth development practices.
The City of St. Petersburg is committed to a Drug Free Workplace and compliance with the Department of Transportation (DOT) drug testing rules. Applicants maybe required to successfully complete pre-employment drug testing and/or medical exams.
Apply online at www.stpete.org/jobs - Select Apply for Jobs/Register/View Job Postings. City employees must use the Current City Employee link or use a City computer to access iRecruitment Employee Candidate. The City of St. Petersburg is committed to affirmative action and equal opportunity employment, and encourages individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply for posted positions. In accordance with Chapter 295 of the Florida Statutes, qualified servicemembers/veterans and the spouses/family members of certain servicemembers/veterans receive preference/priority in employment. Eligible applicants are responsible to apply for Veterans’ Preference at the time of submission of any job application. Reasonable accommodations may be made for qualified individuals with disabilities to apply, to interview for positions and to perform the essential job functions.