Revenue Agent 1 - Athens Regional Office
Athens - Georgia (GA),
Revenue, Georgia Department of - DOR
Estimated salary $32,000 a year
This announcement is open to the public.
Revenue Agent 1- Athens Regional Office
Why join the team?
At the Georgia Department of Revenue, we are working to continuously provide the best customer service in the state. To get there we need exceptionally talented people like you. If you would like to help us build on our vision of maintaining a highly motivated and well-trained workforce who proudly serves the Georgia residents and business owners, this is your chance to shine!
What will you do?
As a Revenue Agent 1, you will diligently work to determine tax liability or collect taxes from individuals or business firms, according to prescribed laws and regulations.
What do we offer?
- An environment of encouragement and growth.
- A chance to make a difference by being a part of a driven and dynamic organization
- Competitive compensation, paid leave, comprehensive benefits package
Which qualifications are required?
60 semester hours of study from an accredited college or university
90 quarter hours of study from an accredited college or university
One year of related experience
- Research tax liabilities, collect unpaid taxes and initiate enforced collection activities
- Correspond with taxpayers, their representative, banking intuitions and court offices by mail, phone or in person
- Financial customer service
The Essentials – In addition to meeting the minimum entry qualifications, applicants must possess the following criteria to receive consideration:
- Teamwork and Cooperation: Demonstrated ability to promote and work in a team atmosphere, be inclusive of all team members, and work well with co-workers & leadership
- Judgment and Decision Making: Demonstrated ability to weigh the needs of the taxpayers and the department to decide the best course of action for all parties
- Accountability: Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility for one’s actions with honesty and integrity, while maintaining credibility and remaining committed to organizational success
- Customer Service: Demonstrated ability to appropriately address internal & external customer issues while respecting business needs Good verbal and written communication skills
- Results Orientation: Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines to achieve performance goals, while focused on efficient & effective problem resolution
- The ability to interpret tax laws, policies, rules, and regulations pertaining to tax collection
The Preferred – Candidates possessing one or a combination of the following criteria will receive primary consideration:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (Accounting, Math, Business, or Tax Law)
- Priority consideration for an interview will be given applicants with a strong background in collections, related educational classes or degree in Accounting, Math, Business, or Tax law, and experience in collections in person and by phone.
The Revenue Agent 1 positions operate out of the assigned office; however, a valid Georgia driver's license is required, as this position may be required to travel at least 25% of the time. The Georgia Department of Revenue also conducts an MVR Check, a criminal background check and State of Georgia tax records check is conducted on all new hires. You are required to have filed a State of Georgia tax return for the past five years.
Position Status & Pay Grade: Unclassified - G
Expected salary: $32,000
Location: Athens Regional Office 3700 Atlanta Hwy., Suite 268 Athens, GA 30606
- Note Applicants MUST attach a copy of college transcript(s) showing completion of an Associates or Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Business, Math or Tax Law from an accredited college or university, OR the completion of 60 Semester hours of study from an accredited college or university OR the completion of 90 quarter credits of study from an accredited college or university.
State Personnel Board Rules for current State Employees
478-1-.15 Changes to Employment Status
All selected applicants for Department of Revenue positions are subject to a State of Georgia tax records check and a criminal background investigation before final approval to begin work. Additional background processes may be in place for some positions, such as law enforcement. In addition, the highest level of education indicated on your Team Georgia Careers Profile will be verified.
If you need an accommodation due to disability for any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources Office at (404) 417-2154.
Due to the large volume of applications received by this office, only applicants selected for interview will be notified for final applicant selection. Human Resources maintains the discretion to close the job announcement prior to the closing date if a significant number of applications are received.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Department of Revenue is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of color, race, national origin, age, sex, religion, or disability. This policy statement applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, compensation, training, and termination.