Carbondale - Illinois (IL),
Southern Illinois Healthcare
The medical receptionist will promptly greet and assist patients, families, and other guests in a professional, positive, and caring manner through in-person, online, and telephone interactions.
- Manages processes effectively in regard to employee/patient safety.
- Record Keeping
- Maintains all required records, reports, statistics, logs, files and other documents as required.
- Process Improvement
- Promotes a culture of process improvement by participating in unit/department based programs that supports the system’s process improvement goals.
- Actively participates on system-wide or hospital-based teams as needed.
Role Specific Responsibilities
- Understand emergency office procedures and individual roles, and actively participate in training drills when required.
- Assist patients to complete appropriate medical insurance, or legal forms and documentation as needed.
- Release approved medical records according to established procedures
- Compassionately listen to patient concerns, and provide satisfactory resolution independently, or with team support.
- Contribute to improvements in patient care by self-reflecting on individual and team processes, and offering constructive input into the problem-solving cycle.
- Promptly greet all patients, families, internal customers, and other visitors in a caring, professional, and helpful manner.
- Accurately and efficiently schedule patient appointments; process cancellations and re-schedule requests per practice standards. Verify appointments as needed.
- Accurately, promptly, and professionally check-in or register patients prior to their appointment.
- Provide clear instruction concerning follow-up care, as instructed by provider, at the completion of patient visits.
- Verify patient insurance, collect payments and provide receipts. Accurately post same payments to patient accounts and reconcile a daily deposit.
- Answer incoming phone calls promptly and courteously, and ensure that questions are resolved quickly.
- Maintain reception desk, lobby, patient restroom, and/or waiting room areas in a welcoming and organized condition.
- Assist in opening or closing the clinic per practice standards, as required by scheduled working hours.
- Complete and document in-basket and work queue tasks according to EMR and practice protocols.
- Receive and distribute incoming mail and faxes per practice protocols.
- Encourage and activate patient use of patient portal.
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Associates degree preferred
- Technical Experience: General typing and computer skills required.
- Customer service and medical office with electronic medical record experience preferred.