Mattoon - Illinois (IL), 61938
JOB TITLE: Packaging Operator
Family: Plant Operations
Function: Supply Chain
JOB REPORTS TO: Shift Manager
The Packaging Operator provides Mars Petcare Mattoon with the knowledge and skills to effectively and safely package the converted raw materials to high quality finished product according to Quality standards and production schedule. This is to provide our customers with the proper product at the appropriate destination in a timely and cost effective manner.
1. Performs all of the following duties on a rotational basis in the packaging area of the plant:
Line operation - (big bag, middle bag, pouch, super sack) - run to schedule, do changeovers, troubleshoot lines.
Maintain smooth operation of palletizer
Blending system operation and monitoring
Perform required quality checks and reporting.
Monitor product flow to line
Meet cut-off and tonnes requirements.
Enter work orders into the MIS system as needed and support maintenance on calls.
2. Maintain a clean, safe work environment that promotes associate safety and product integrity.
3. Will actively address food safety and quality concerns
4. Improve operations through individual and group problem solving and provide leadership in solving problems on the floor and in meetings.
5. Promote high quality team environment through effective team work and self management with a positive attitude.
- Participate in site JTM’s, Lean Teams and focus groups as appropriate.
- Trains other area associates in operation of lines.
- Other similar duties as assigned.
- Must be able to cover vacations for other packaging associates in this role.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Good basic math, reading and writing skills.
- Good mechanical aptitude.
- High School diploma or equivalent plus 1-2 years experience (manufacturing environment preferred).
- Good housekeeping skills and knowledge of GMP's.
- Basic knowledge of personal computers.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Ability and willingness to develop and manage self, demonstrate self directed workgroup leadership and contribute to efficiency, quality, and cost optimization with minimal supervision.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to operate forklift in a safe manner.
- Ability to work rotating shifts under stressful conditions such as heat, cold, high and/or confined spaces and have full mobility with ability to climb ladders and stairs.