Water Maintenance Worker
Hutchinson - Kansas (KS), 67501
City of Hutchinson
Estimated salary $15.94 - $23.91 an hour
Under the supervision of the Water Maintenance Supervisor and the Superintendent of Water and Sewer, the Water Maintenance Worker assists with providing clean and potable drinking water to the citizens of Hutchinson, and assists with the maintenance of the water distribution system. This employee should possess a strong mechanical aptitude, and effective communication, organizational, and public relation skills.
Adverse working conditions exist within this position. Exposure to hazardous chemicals, heavy machinery, high voltage, excessive noise, and all types of weather conditions is expected. Employee will work in close proximity to heavy traffic and below ground installing and repairing water lines.
Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions, communicate effectively, and perform telephone and in person communication.
Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to comprehend written work instructions.
Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to use office equipment safely and effectively, prepare and interpret reports, utilize equipment required for the performance of duties.
Sufficient mental ability to exercise sound judgment and rational thinking, evaluate various options and perform daily assignments and meet deadlines based on priority. Sufficient personal mobility, flexibility, stamina, strength, and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, to perform all maintenance duties required.
- Maintains safe drinking water for the citizens of Hutchinson and for fire protection;
- Maintains and repairs the water distribution system;
- Assists with renewing and installing city water service and water main lines;
- Repairs water main breaks,
- Education: A high school diploma or GED is required.
- Experience: One to three years of similar or related experience is preferred. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job reasonably well within six months of employment.
- Certifications/License: This employee must possess or be able to obtain a valid Kansas Commercial Driver's License (C.D.L.) within ninety (90) days of appointment. A Class I or higher Water Operator Certification, and Cross Connection knowledge is preferred. Requires Competent Person for Excavation and Trenching and Confined Space Certification (within one year of employment).
- Group Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- KPERS Defined Benefit Retirement
- Insured Disability
- Death Benefit
- Life Insurance
- Service Connected Death
- Optional Voluntary Life Insurance
- 457 Retirement Savings Plan
- Medical Spending Account
- Dependent Care Spending Account
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
- Employee Assistance Program