Louisville - Kentucky (KY), 40203
Overview Headquartered in Louisville, KY and ranked among the top carriers in the U.S., Mercer Transportation has earned a reputation as one of the nation's leading owner operator companies. For over thirty years, Mercer has built a family on the foundation of honesty, professional freedom and experience.
Mercer is an irregular route carrier that operates an owner operator fleet of more than 2,000 trucks with no company-owned equipment. Primarily, Mercer is a truckload carrier of general commodities, offering flatbed, stepdeck and dry van services. Our logistics system operates with authority for the continental United States, Canada and interline contracts into Mexico.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Creates reports on accidents and cargo claims and reviews settlement reports with Claims Manager.
2. Maintains physical hardcopy and electronic filing systems designed to facilitate the storage and retrieval of information pertinent to the Claims Department.
3. Assigns adjusters in settling property damage and bodily injury claims.
4. Assists contractor(s) in recovering losses incurred in non-chargeable claims.
5. Provides instruction for contractors, agents, and freight personnel in loss prevention, reduction, and claims prevention, and reduction.
6. Serves as department on-call representative every fourth week and/or at intervals deemed necessary by the Claims Manager.
7. Attends training seminars, meetings, and legal functions as needed to remain current on industry and corporate information.
8. Assists the Claims Manager in making recommendations to cancel or re-contract a driver.
9. Answers questions made by the agents and freight personnel in regard to hauling Hazmat material.
10. Remains flexible and work as needed to meet the responsibilities, tasks, and objectives of their department.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelors Degree or Associate's Degree with commensurate business experience.
2. Friendly, persuasive telephone manner in order to successfully solicit/maintain sales. Efficiently answer multi-phone system, respond to customer questions and resolve issues.
3. Ability to monitor multi phones, and handle large volume of outgoing and incoming calls, maintain accurate documentation of conversations and field/answer all routine and non-routine questions.
4. Possesses excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills used to effectively convey information to others. Provide others with a clear understanding of information.
5. Ability to provide full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
6. Excellent organizational skills and the ability to develop systems and processes.
7. Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
8. Ability to develop/train team members; work independently on assigned tasks, as well as to accept direction on given assignments.
9. Strong interpersonal, writing and presentation skills including the ability to communicate with all levels of management and audiences with diverse backgrounds and educational levels. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
10. Use keyboard, mouse, 10-key calculator, and other office equipment with proficiency. Must be able to pass a pre-employment PC skills test, and if appropriate geography test.
Will rotate "on call" weeks with other team members.
Education Requirements (Any) -Associates Degree -Bachelors Degree
Additional Information/Benefits Equal Employment Opportunity:
We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We are dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, or mental and/or physical disability.
Newly hired and newly promoted employees serve in an introductory period of fixed duration as the final step in the selection process to demonstrate their ability to perform the work.
Compensation and Benefits:
Mercer offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits programs provided to all eligible employees; paid vacation, holidays and sick leave, medical insurance, life insurance, long-term disability and voluntary optional insurances. These plans are subject to change at the discretion of the company.
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan
Screening Requirements: Criminal Background Check