Bus Driver - IDEA Bridge (Immediate Opening)
Baton Rouge - Louisiana (LA), 70815
IDEA Public Schools
IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that each and every one of our students graduates from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 58% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2001 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. Under their continued leadership, today, we serve tens of thousands of students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students in communities across the country. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you in the coming months—our upcoming schools will be in Tarrant County (Fort Worth/Arlington), New Orleans, Houston (2020), Midland/Odessa (2021), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you aren’t just an employee. You are a part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn a bit more about IDEA, check out this video:
About Baton Rouge:
Baton Rouge is ranked in the top 100 on the U.S. News and World Report Best Places to Live Rankings. It is also home to IDEA Innovation and IDEA Bridge, the first IDEA Public School regions outside of the state of Texas. We are honored to pledge our passion and focus to the students of Baton Rouge and provide an educational experience that will end with college acceptance and matriculation.
While Baton Rouge is well known for its delicious cuisine and entertainment, it is also a nucleus for an abundant culture and history. We are ecstatic to enlist a cohort of strong individuals that will help support student’s dreams to get to and through college.
In 2017, only 1 in 6 students graduated in the state of Louisiana graduated college-ready. Changing this statistic is part of the promise IDEA makes to current and incoming students. IDEA Southern Louisiana is part of the solution for sharing the endless possibilities in grade school, college, and beyond.
The Bus Driver is responsible for transporting students over scheduled routes to and from a variety of school sites and to assure the safety of the passengers riding the school bus. Employees in this classification receive general supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. This job class is responsible for ensuring the safety of all passengers including special education students while operating the assigned bus and for ensuring the assigned bus is always in a safe operating condition.
- Safely transports students
- Drives a school bus safely in accordance with time schedules; transporting students to and from their homes, a variety of school sites, and on field trips as assigned
- Maintains order and proper discipline of passengers; resolving disputes, documents and reports severe disciplinary cases
- Conducts established safety and operational inspection of assigned vehicle daily
- Understands the basics of transporting students
- Oversees the loading and unloading of students, releasing students to authorized individual, and assures that safety belts are fastened in passenger vans
- Maintains a variety of records and reports including but not limited to mileage, routing, maintenance, and time schedules
- Notifies appropriate individuals of any delays in scheduled route
- Ensure to always have proper credentials (CDL, Medical Card, & Region One) updated accordingly to DOT and IDEA policy
- Must be able to understand and take directions and feedback well
- Have an open communication channel with managers of campuses they drive
- Able to accept negative and positive feedback
- Able to self –reflect on own performance to improve the operation
- Must manage multiple tasks by prioritizing work
- Needs to adapt to changing circumstances while performing various tasks
- Handle various tasks simultaneously within established time constraints
- Be able to work on an open calendar
- Able to work on evenings, weekends, holidays, etc.
- Expected to work a minimum of 32 hours per week – Not including Extra Curricular Activities assigned by campus
- Able to work extended hours when necessary to meet business needs
- We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- GED or High School Diploma
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with class P (passenger) and S (school bus) endorsements
- Completed bus driver safety training course
- Must be over 18 years old
- Pass alcohol and drug tests
- DOT Physical Examination
- Experience in the operation of large passenger vehicles; or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Ability to manage student behavior
- Salaries for this role typically fall between $14.00 and $17.20, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications.