Case Management Assistant
Baltimore - Maryland (MD),
About MedStar Health
- High School diploma or equivalent. Medical terminology knowledge preferred.
- Experience in a healthcare environment preferred.
- No licensure, certification or registration is required.
- Verbal and written communication skills. Basic Computer skills required. Some background in moderate level problem solving and effective communication skills. Ability to use general office equipment such as telephone, copy machine, fax machine, scanner and computer.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures, quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental and accreditation regulations.
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings, serves on committees andrepresents the department and hospital/facility in community outreach efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Delivers patient notification letter as needed-Notice of Observation Status, MOON, Medicare Important Message and others. Obtains the appropriate signature and uploads into the electronic record.
- Escalates issues to the department manager/director as needed.
- Establishes and promotes positive and collaborative working relationships with Case Managers (CM), Social Workers (SW), Utilization Review Nurses, and administrative staff to facilitate discharge planning.
- Makes referrals for post acute care within the Allscripts system -at the direction of the CM or SW.
- Participates in department projects.
- Prepares discharge packets to be sent with patients being discharged to skilled facilities.
- Works with Case Managers, Social Workers and others to support and assist with discharge planning and patient throughput.
- Promotes customer satisfaction through effective communication and Language of Caring skills at all times.
Implements the plans and interventions defined by the Case Managers and Clinical Social Workers. Under the direction of the case management staff, performs multiple activities that support the movement and transitions of patients out of the inpatient hospital setting. Assists in the administration of Case Management functions to include, but not limited to -organization of work flow, communications, links to community resources, transportation, and other duties to assist in the facilitation of discharges. Provides clerical and support functions to the case management staff members with the goal of promoting expeditious patient transfers and/or discharges. Maintains a high degree of confidentiality with sensitive patient information.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.