Customer Service | Member Service Division | February 2020
Quincy - Massachusetts (MA),
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Ready to help us transform healthcare? Bring your true colors to blue.
As the primary contact for our customers, the Member Service Representative is one of the most important positions at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts. Our ability to provide outstanding service to our members continues to be a top goal for every associate. Member Service Representatives work in a structured inbound call center environment.
New hires must be able to attend a phased nineteen week new hire training program. During that time, candidates move back and forth between the classroom and the lab/practice environment where they are taking member calls with extensive coaching and support. Training is onsite in our Quincy office, Monday through Friday. While in the classroom, candidates will work 9:00 am-5:00 pm. While in the lab/practice environment taking member calls, candidate schedules may shift to a flex schedule (as noted below). An 18-month commitment is required for this position before applying internally for other positions.
- Consistently provide members with exceptional customer service
- Assist internal and external customers via incoming telephone calls
- Actively listen to customers and respond appropriately
- Utilize the BCBSMA computer system to look up and record information regarding a customer’s account
- Investigate and resolve member inquiries through correspondence and computer research
- Advise customers regarding policy and benefit information for multiple health plans
- Coordinate internal activities necessary to research and resolve inquiries and provide accounts with service solutions
- Contribute to a team effort to meet or exceed service, production and quality goals
- Identify errors and implement solutions with team members and leaders
- Meet and exceed daily weekly and monthly performance goals
- Provide a high level of service to both external and internal customers
- Creative problem solving within a team environment
- Desire to create a caring atmosphere for customers
- Flexibility and willingness to change as business needs change within the division
- Take ownership
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- College degree or comparable experience preferred
- 2 plus years of successful work experience in a customer focused environment, direct customer contact via phone preferred
- Prior experience assisting members and/or providers with telephone inquiries
- Basic knowledge of personal computer operations and software packages
- Experience in a Windows environment preferred
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills
Schedule – Your schedule is a flex schedule which is any combination of work days ranging from 4 hours to 10 hours in length each day, ultimately adding up to 37.5 hours total for the week. Our Member Service associates can start their earliest shifts at 8:00 am and finish some shifts as late as 6:30 pm. The schedule patterns for each week can vary based on business needs however we are committed to giving our associates as much advanced notice as possible when this occurs.
The following are some examples of flex schedules that associates could potentially receive:
- A 10 hour shift on Monday, a 6 hours shift on Wednesday, and 8 hour shifts on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
- 8 hour shifts Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday
Blue Cross Blue Shield offers its permanent associates a competitive package that includes:
- Three weeks of vacation, as well as paid holidays and additional sick and personal time off
- Health, dental and vision insurance beginning on your first day of employment
- 401k program with a company match
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Transportation Assistance: Get discounts on transportation like MBTA, parking and bicycle vouchers
- Fitness Center Reimbursement and Wellness Programs
- The potential for growth within Blue Cross Blue Shield is exceptional. More than half of our managers began their careers with us in entry-level roles!