Medical Records Specialist
Brighton - Michigan (MI),
University of Michigan
Estimated salary $14.07 an hour
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Primarily responsible for retrieving, organizing, and maintaining patients’ health information. Must communicate effectively with physicians, clinical staff, and outside institutions to obtain proper documentation as needed. Facilitates communications between patients, public, referring physicians and other health care providers seeking access to UMHS clinical and/or administrative personnel or services. Responsible for accurate and efficient imaging of all medical records and other documents received, including uploading documents to Radiology. Prepare, verify, and maintain records and requisitions to be scanned into MiChart. Request outside records, process records in time for future appointments, and ensure medical records are scanned properly and promptly upon receipt.
While obtaining medical records is the primary assignment, the applicant needs to be flexible so as to respond to the staffing needs of the clinic. Candidate should expect cross training on all office duties, including but not limited to delivery of packages, sorting mail, facsimiles, etc. Candidate will also provide responsible and courteous clerical support to clinic. All other duties as assigned.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide information, services, and support to referring physicians, consumers, UMHS staff and faculty, and other healthcare professionals via multimedia communication channels.
- Review physician schedules and appointments for requesting records.
- Contact outside organizations to request records for new patients seen in the BCSC Clinic.
- Organize, file, load, and/or image all patient data upon receipt of information.
- Respond to requests for medical
- High school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-3 years of experience
- Proficiency with email, internet, and Microsoft Office products.
- Basic medical terminology competency.
- Demonstrated friendly, warm, and articulate telephone manner with a clear, well-modulated speaking voice.
- Strong interpersonal and (written and verbal) communication skills.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment, while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated call quality and customer service delivery excellence.
- Demonstrated competency to cross cover in a variety of Specialties.
- Proficiency with MiChart, LifeImage, Prosolve, Syngo Dynamics, and Microsoft Excel and Outlook.
- Knowledge of shipping and mailing methods, speeds, and web applications.
- Previous experience working with clinical staff (nurses, mid-level providers, and physicians).
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
- Previous experience requesting and uploading medical records.
This is a full-time position, working Monday through Friday. Typical hours are from 8:00AM-5:00PM. The hours depend on the clinic operation hours.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.