STEAM PLANT OPERATOR I - MU Power Plant - UNION
Columbia - Missouri (MO),
University of MO-Columbia
$15.56 - $25.67 an hour
- complete ALL sections of the application
- complete six months of regular service at the University
- apply within the published, five-day posting period
- meet the minimum qualifications for the vacancy
Your qualifications for this position will be evaluated based on the information you provide on your job application. Once the job posting period is closed, there will be no opportunity to submit additional information regarding your qualifications. Therefore, you need to ensure that your application materials are complete when submitted.
Union Bid Period: 11/15/19 - 11/22/19
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
To be trained and perform tasks under direct supervision in the operation of the potable water system, steam production equipment, fuel and ash handling systems, and various auxiliary systems in a power plant.
- Routinely check and operate the deep well pumps and perform routine lubrication.
- Routinely check reservoir levels and overflows.
- Routinely check and operate service water pumps and valves to maintain proper system water pressure.
- Routinely check, test and adjust as required the chlorination systems to maintain proper levels of chlorine at all times in the water.
- Perform housekeeping in the water system pumping stations.
- Assist the Steam Plant Operator II in general boiler plant operation, including boiler draft and combustion control, feedwater and steam systems and various auxiliary equipment.
- Assist the Steam Plant Operator II in blowing soot in the boilers.
- Assist the Steam Plant Operator II in blowing down the boiler headers and water columns.
- Assist the Steam Plant Operator II in checking and maintaining proper boiler water chemistry.
- Remove ashes from the boilers and baghouses and operate ash conveyor equipment.
- Assist in the loading of ash trucks.
- Assist in the operation of coal and biomasss conveyor equipment to bring fuels and materials into the plant and maintain adequate fuel supply in all boiler bunkers and fuel bins.
- Assist in the operation of the power plant compressed air system.
- Perform general housekeeping, routine maintenance and lubrication in the plant as assigned.
- Complete all requirements of the Steam Plant Operator I Training Program and the Steam Plant Operator II Training Program.
- Complete all required department environmental and safety training, and follow all related department policies and procedures.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
The power plant is a 24-hour operation; persons in this classification may be required to report to work at any time.
Persons in this classification may be placed on standby.
$15.56 - $25.67 per hour
Grade: GGS E
University Title: Steam Plant Operator I
Internal applicants can determine their university title by accessing the Talent Profile tile in myHR.
- A high school graduate or an equivalent combination of experience and education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities can be acquired is necessary.
- One year of industrial and/or mechanical plant experience, or equivalent experience where machine operation has been emphasized. Prior boiler plant experience is desired.
- Ability to work safely in a heavy industrial environment containing high temperature boilers, high pressure steam systems, high voltage electric systems and large rotating machinery.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend at minimum accepted levels; must be able to follow and carry-out written and verbal instructions, follow safety instructions, understand operating procedures, and must be able to communicate effectively with power plant staff and supervision.
- Ability to demonstrate mechanical aptitude at minimum accepted levels and perform minor, routine mechanical maintenance.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license which will allow legal operation of a motor vehicle in the State of Missouri.
- Persons in this classification must satisfactorily complete all of the training requirements for the Steam Plant Operator I within 6 months or their employment will be terminated.
- Persons in this classification must satisfactorily complete all of the training requirements for the Steam Plant Operator II within two years or their employment will be terminated.
- Persons in this classification must comply with all department safety, health and environmental policies and procedures.
- A person working in this classification must, on a regular basis, be able to:
- Grasp, lift, carry and set down moderately heavy objects (50lbs.).
- Climb and work from heights on ladders, scaffolding and elevated platforms.
- Work in an environment containing dust, heat and high humidity.
- Must be able to work rotating shifts to cover a 24 hours per day, 7 day per week operation.
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.