Manager of Business Intelligence
Kansas City - Missouri (MO),
Kansas City Southern Railway
The primary responsibility of the Business Intelligence Manager is to manage and provide a clear direction for the BI organization's Analytics and reporting team. This team consists of several BI subject matter experts, developers, and architects. BI Manager executes BI strategies for warehouse implementation, data acquisition, and archive recovery under leadership guidance. Creates processes and implements governance models around BI systems and data. Factors in operational simplicity, resiliency, and efficiency into their recommendations and act as a "hands on"¤ technologist, being able to both outline the architecture and clearly articulate/design complex data solutions. This role also provides consultation and solutions for complex projects.
- Supports and creates Business Intelligence processes, rules of engagement and separation of duties.
- Creates process/data flow maps of links between systems, current processes, areas of opportunity to improve process flows and new systems to integrate.
- Defines and maintains correct roles and responsibilities for team members aligned with application support and maintenance activities.
- Assures initiation, monitoring and maintenance of systems and policies necessary to safeguard the physical, financial and human capital of the organization and customers.
- Provides complete assessments of the technical characteristics of proposals and alternatives considered to optimize database performance.
- Collaborates with IT, Operations, Sales and Marketing, Finance and other relevant organizational areas to determine potential systems which will utilize BIDW infrastructure.
- Ensures the analytics and reporting team is meeting correct expectation as set by management.
- Manages the resources necessary to plan, coordinate, and deliver solutions to meet various project requirements and manages the demand for new solutions against employee capacity.
- Assists in architecting Business Intelligence solutions and developing strategy.
- Manages BIDW system (Data Imports and Exports). Responsible for ensuring our warehouse and business intelligence tool has the most current, accurate and relevant data possible for our internal customers and determines and recommends enhancements to the BIDW for performance improvement.
- Works with developers to define, score and data architecture. Ensures proper back-end/front-end integration, data flow & ETL processes.
- Defines ways to maximize system use, including identifying opportunities to better use the system to create more efficiency and stronger operations, creating new reports and queries, working with internal team or vendor. Provide back-end analysis and reporting.
- Creates effective customer and vendor relationship management. Establishes and maintains communication with business partners and peer IT organizations.
- Builds and leverages effective alliances across the enterprise to understand, shape and meet business demand. Represents IT to significant stakeholders.
- Prepares information and makes presentations to various audiences including the executive, senior and mid-level managers and associates.
- Exemplifies KCS Vision, Values, and Culture in each and every interaction with team, clients, and stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university, preferably in Computer Science, Statistics or related discipline
- Seven (7) years of experience in Business Intelligence
- Three (3) years experience in a manager level role in Analytics, Business Intelligence or Data Warehouse Management
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Three (3) years experience in manager level role in Database Administration, Engineer/Analyst level role in Analytics, Business Intelligence or Data Warehouse Management, ETL, or Data Scientist role.
- Advanced degree in a job related discipline