Crownpoint - New Mexico (NM),
US Department of the Interior
Estimated salary $31,718 - $46,135 a year
This position is located with the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Navajo Region in Crownpoint, New Mexico.
- Classify accounting transactions, maintain and reconcile accounts, close accounts and prepare reports and statements.
- Analyze accounting data and examine accounts with the majority of the work involving invoices, receipts, and deposits of annual grazing rental payments and fees.
- Providing administrative support associated with the budget and financial transactions.
- Maintain accounts by reviewing documents to verify accounting data as necessary, entering data into automated systems, and taking a trial balance.
- Examine accounts to verify the accuracy of accounts and adequacy of supporting data.
- Review the efficiency of accounting and clerical processes and compliance with prescribed procedures.
- Recommend improvements such as the need for coordination, additional training or clarification of procedures to reduce errors or processing delays.
- Maintain confidentiality of all sensitive documents (client and customer information and financial data) throughout the organization.
- Ensure compliance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), Privacy Act and regulations to maintain the confidentiality of financial documents and records.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
0525 Accounting Technician
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship Required
- Indian Preference applies
- You will be required to have federal payments made by Direct Deposit
- You may be required to successfully complete a probationary/trial period
- A background security investigation will be required for all new hires. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication.
- If you are a male applicant born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
- Incumbent is required to operate a government motor vehicle, must possess a valid driver's license, and have a safe driving record within the 3 year period immediately preceding submittal of GSA Form 3607.
QualificationsEXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: (OPM Operating Manual, Qualification Standards for Accounting Technician GS0525.)
GS-4: one year of general experience which is progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position. OR 2 years of successfully completed education above the high school level in any field at an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university.
GS-5: I have at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-04 grade level that equipped me with the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. Examples include: utilizing accounting software to record, store and analyze information; checking figures, postings, and documents for correct entry, accuracy and proper codes; complying with federal, state and agency policies, procedures and regulations, reconciling and reporting discrepancies found in records and performing general office duties, such as filling, answering telephones and handling routing correspondence. OR I have 4 years of education above the high school.
TELEWORK: The Bureau of Indian Affairs has determined that the duties of the position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Merit Promotion candidates must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the announcement closing date.
If you are qualifying based on your education, you MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education which shows the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: FOREIGN EDUCATION
All new hires earn the beginning salary of their pay grade (Step 1). See 2021 Salary Tables and select the pay chart for Crownpoint, New Mexico. If no specific chart is listed for this geographic location, see the "rest of U.S." chart.
The full performance level of this position is GS-5 . Promotion potential in this announcement does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. A career ladder promotion is at the discretion of management, and in no way guaranteed.
Career Transition Assistance Programs: These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: (1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; (2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 85 or above; and, (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp .
Under the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act (LMWFA) two groups of individuals are eligible to apply under this announcement: current and/or former employees serving or who have served under time-limited competitive appointments at land management agencies. Land Management Agencies include: Bureau of Indian Affairs, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Park Service, and U.S. Forest Service.
been hired under competitive examining procedures to a time limited appointment with a land management agency; 2) must have served under one or more time limited appointment(s) by a land management agency for a period totaling more than 24 months without a break in service of 2 or more years; 3) must have separated for reasons other than misconduct or performance; AND 4) must have performed at an acceptable level through the service period.
- Current appointees: 1) must have been hired under competitive examining procedures to a time limited appointment with a land management agency; 2) must have served under one or more time limited appointment(s) by a land management agency for a period totaling more than 24 months without a break in service of 2 or more years; AND 3) must have performed at an acceptable level during each period of service.
- Former appointees: 1) must have
Certain candidates may be eligible to apply under a special hiring authority including those for disabled individuals, Peace Corps employees, Foreign Service employees, veterans, etc. For more information, visit the following OPM websites: USAJOBS Information Center: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/; Vets Info Guide: http://www.fedshirevets.gov/.
Former Federal Employees are required to indicate whether they received a Voluntary Separation Incentive Payment (VSIP) buyout in their previous employment with the Federal government, and are required to submit a copy of the applicable Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) regarding the VSIP. Most individuals who accept reemployment with the Federal government within 5 years of receiving the VSIP amount, must repay the gross amount of the separation pay prior to reemployment.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application package will be evaluated against the minimum qualification requirements specified above. In order to qualify, your resume must specifically describe your work history and the duties you performed in each position. Your resume will be evaluated after the closing date of 03/25/2021 to determine whether you meet the minimum qualification requirements for this position. Qualified candidates will then be rated as best qualified, well qualified, or qualified depending on their possession of the knowledge, skills, abilities, competencies and experience requirements as demonstrated by your responses to the assessment questions. Competencies measured include:
- Applied Technology to Tasks
- Arithmetic/Mathematical Reasoning
- Customer Service
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If the information in your resume does not support your responses to the assessment questions, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your qualifications.
Qualified Indian preference candidates will be referred to the hiring manager in order of veterans' preference.
You may preview the assessment questions here in the https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11041736. Additional selections may be made from this announcement if identical vacancies occur in the same location within 90 days from the closing date.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Noncritical-Sensitive (NCS)/Moderate Risk
Trust determination process
The following documents are required for this position:
- Resume which details work experience including dates worked (mm/yy-mm/yy), position title, Grade (if federal service), and hours worked per week.
- On-line Assessment Questionnaire
- Most recent SF-50 (if applying under merit promotion. Be sure your SF-50 displays your tenure in box 24, your position in box 34, and that the SF-50 is not an award)
- Transcripts (if using education to qualify) - Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, an official transcript may be requested at a later time.
- Veteran's documentation - (if applicable) VA letter on VA letterhead stating your overall combined rating, SF-15, DD-214 (copy 4) reflecting an honorable discharge and dates of active duty military service.
- Special Appointing Authority documentation (if applying under a special hiring authority)
- BIA Form 4432 (if claiming Indian preference)
- Performance Appraisal (if applying under the Land Management Flexibility Act)
If you are unable to apply online, require reasonable accommodation in the application process if you are an applicant with a disability, or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
ALL DOCUMENTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 10:59 PM Mountain Time ON THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. If your application package is incomplete in any way, you will not be considered for this position, and requests for extensions will not be granted. Please double check your application package before you submit it.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SOLICITED OR ACCEPTED BY THIS OFFICE.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
Career transition (CTAP, ICTAP, RPL)
Federal employees who meet the definition of a "surplus" or "displaced" employee.
Federal employees - Competitive service
Current or former competitive service federal employees.
Federal employees - Excepted service
Current excepted service federal employees.
Individuals with disabilities
Land & base management
Certain current or former term or temporary federal employees of a land or base management agency.
Native Americans or Alaskan Natives with a tribal affiliation.
Clarification from the agency
Current or former career or career-conditional Federal employees in the competitive service Indian preference eligibles (must submit a BIA Form 4432) Veterans who are preference eligibles or who have been separated from the armed forces with an honorable discharge Government employees eligible through an Interchange agreement Candidates eligible under Non-Competitive special hiring authority Current or former time-limited employees eligible under the Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act