Las Cruces - New Mexico (NM), 88001
City of Las Cruces, NM
Estimated salary $14 an hour
To provide services for the Juvenile Citation Program involving the placing and supervision of youth in appropriate community service sites, facilitating the educational component and tracking youth beyond program completion.
Position will include after school, evenings and weekend hours. May require occasional extended hours. Requires reliable transportation to report to assigned community service sites. Possible interaction with disruptive juveniles and upset parents. Continued employment is contingent upon grant funding. Regular attendance is an essential function of the job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies.
Works 50% inside with no notable adverse environmental factors and 50% outside which involves exposure to all weather elements, and traffic. Light physical demands. Requires the ability to lift/carry books and office files weighing up to ten pounds. Ability to effectively communicate verbally with hearing ability to communicate with participants and parents. Ability to observe surroundings and identify volatile safety issues.
Meeting or exceeding the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an invitation to participate in the process.
FIRST CONSIDERATION MAY BE GIVEN TO CURRENT CITY OF LAS CRUCES EMPLOYEES WHO MEET THE MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS.
This posting will be used to fill one (1) full-time, grant funded, non-exempt position but may be used to fill multiple vacancies to include positions that are grant funded, regular, or contract and may be full-time, part-time, or temporary.
This position graded at GT02
- Coordinate and facilitate the educational component of the program.
- Facilitate youth group discussions using the chosen curriculum and instructs parents and teens on relevant subjects.
- Researches and identifies emerging youth issues and seeks to address those through various means including developing the various curriculums accordingly, developing new components to the program and/or identifying existing community resources and establishing partnerships.
- Acts as a mentor and role model to youth in the program.
- To provide services for the Juvenile Citation Program involving the placing and supervision of youth in appropriate community service sites.
- Communicates regularly with other staff, juvenile probation personnel, community agencies, youth, parents and the general public to facilitate placement and transition of clients.
- Updates files and database including records of all actions taken, active participant demographics, referrals to
Two years college in pursuit of a degree in a social service, education, criminal justice or related field PLUS one year experience working with and supervising at-risk/delinquent youth ages 12-18. One year experience utilizing MS Windows applications required. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy. Bilingual preferred (English/Spanish).
Valid driver's license is required. First Aid and CPR certifications must be obtained within six months of hire date. Position requires an acceptable driving record in accordance with City policy.
Knowledge of: community service programs and agencies.
Skill in: operating a personal computer with installed generic and specialized office productivity software.
Ability to: interact effectively with a diverse cultural community in a courteous and respectful manner; establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships with fellow employees, program participants, other agencies and the public; communicate effectively orally and in writing; read, write, and perform mathematical calculations at a high school level; complete duties with minimal supervision in accordance with department goals and objectives, adhering to city and state regulations, policies and procedures; be self-motivated, follow instructions and maintain constant alertness.