Payroll Specialist MC
Rio Rancho - New Mexico (NM), 87144
City of Rio Rancho NM
Position Title: Payroll Specialist MC
Department: Financial Services
Reports to: Payroll Supervisor
FLSA Status: non-Exempt
Bargaining Unit: none
Pay Grade: 17A
Job Status: Permanent, Full-time
Full Time Equivalent: 1.00
The Payroll Specialist assists with payroll production and is responsible for timely and accurately processing the City’s payroll in compliance with City, State and Federal payroll requirements including IRS, PERA, State of New Mexico, and the Department of Labor. The Payroll Specialist assists with reporting and other functions including, but not limited to, payroll system maintenance and special projects as they relate to payroll.
Education, Training and Experience – minimum required to proficiently perform the job
Education / higher education: AA Degree
For required college degrees, applicable field(s) of study: Business, Accounting or other related field
Minimum number of years of directly related experience: One (1) year experience in payroll preparation, accounting, or HR/time reporting management experience. In lieu of a degree, incumbent must possess three (3) years of relevant experience.
Education and/or experience preferences: Bachelor’s Degree; experience in a municipality, especially a PERA-affiliated employer. Experience with Central Square (formerly SunGard Public Sector/HTE, GMBA) or similar HRIS/Financial software processing systems. Experience with ExecuTime timekeeping systems and Telestaff scheduling systems or similar systems.
Certifications, Licenses and Registrations
Driver’s License requirement: Infrequent Driver - Regular Driver's License Required Endorsements: None
Note - For any driver, driving record must always meet City driving and insurability standards.
Required certifications, licenses or registrations: None
Preferred certifications, licenses or registrations: CPP designation or candidacy
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required to proficiently perform the job
Knowledge: General knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local laws and regulations governing payroll. Ability to interpret, understand and apply multiple union contracts. Knowledge of the principles, practices and methods of fund accounting. Knowledge of HRIS/Payroll processing systems such as the HTE system, purchasing, and budgeting modules, as well as Query and Impromptu reporting.
Skills: Must be able to type rapidly and accurately enough to successfully produce payrolls, documents/spreadsheets, communicate via e-mail, or perform data entry as necessary to accomplish the essential functions of the position. Use of technology, equipment and software typically used in the office environment. Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
Abilities: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret reports, general business periodicals, technical procedures, contracts, government codes, regulations, and policies. Ability to use standard software for word processing, Excel spreadsheets, and data analysis. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to write business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management. Ability to work with complex concepts to analyze problems, interpret data and apply to practical situations found in the workplace. Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to analyze data. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. This job requires the ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of
Interaction with Groups/Agencies/Entities: Internal: Work with department staff to process bi-weekly employee payroll and answers and resolve employee questions as required. Works with accounting staff to reconcile payroll data for posting and for the audit. Responds to requests for information from City Manager’s Office, Directors and City employees. Maintains harmonious and courteous relationships, while working with others. External: Interfaces with other governmental or financial agencies (PERA, NM Retiree Health Care Authority, State DFA, Federal IRS, Banks, etc.). Works with external auditors to provide accurate information and respond to inquiries about payroll transactions.
Authorities and Accountabilities
Level of independent decision making: Moderate-incumbent is expected to analyze situations that are not covered by established procedures or instructions and suggest to supervisor a recommended course of action
Budgetary/Financial/Asset accountability: Low - Position is accountable to a Department Director or Division Manager and cannot make major decisions or obligate the City
Span of control: Responsibility for own work (no supervision or leadership expectations). Position provides oversight and guidance across all City Departments with respect to Payroll matters
The following functions are typical for this position. The omission of specific functions does not exclude them if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment for this position. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Assist with processing the bi-weekly payroll which may include computing employee wages and deductions using an automated payroll system, posting all payroll records, and dispersing all checks and Direct Deposit payments.
- Assist with payroll system maintenance, which may include code maintenance, running interfaces between timekeeper and payroll system, assignment of appropriate position codes, EEO categories and functions, tables, payroll schedules, general ledger and department numbers, mapping, and benefit accrual formulas.
- Prepare and submit electronic payroll files to banks and other entities and management reports as needed.
- Enter payroll data including but not limited to hours worked, taxes, deductions, insurance, union dues and employee identification numbers, Social Security, PERA, benefits, uniform allowances and other records submitted for payroll.
- Register new hires with the State of New Mexico and verify new hires with Social Security Administration Office.
- Audit payroll data for accuracy and compliance. Review data for completeness and Fair Labor Standard Act compliance as it relates to wages and overtime.
- Act in a confidential capacity to formulate, determine and effectuate payroll policies and procedures.
- Answer employee payroll questions and resolve problems while maintaining confidentiality and the integrity of the process.
- Assist with administration of garnishments.
- Verify employment, wages and garnishment withholdings. Answer employment income verifications for mortgage and income qualifiers.
- Assist with preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual compliance reporting including IRS (941 and W-2), State, PERA, Deferred Compensation, Worker's Compensation and unemployment. Prepare statistical labor and pay reports as requested by state and federal departments.
- Act as a temporary back-up to all non-supervisory functions of the Payroll Supervisor in his or her absence.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
Daily activity level: Primarily sedentary
Physical characteristics: Job requires oral and aural communication; Job requires reading and comprehension of written materials; Keystroking or repetitive motion of hands/fingers/arms; and Lifting/carrying/push/pull up to 20 lbs.
Extraordinary working conditions: None
Hazardous equipment/machinery used: None
Required personal protective equipment: None