Cary - North Carolina (NC),
Town of Cary, NC
The Accounting Technician will perform difficult analysis and technical work in the management and preparation of the Town's bi-weekly payroll. The successful candidate is comfortable navigating systems and generating requests to meet customer needs. Additionally, this position will provide a limited level of expertise for other accounting areas as needed. This position is in the Finance Department and will report to the Deputy Treasurer.
Performs or assist primarily with the performance of all duties necessary to process payroll including computing wage and overtime payments, calculating and recording deductions, and collection and maintenance of records. More specifically, payroll duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Prepares direct deposit files to be uploaded to the bank;
- Prepares bi-weekly Federal, State, and FICA taxes;
- Updates payroll through reconciling various system-generated reports;
- Interacts with employees at all levels to explain and resolve payroll issues, including use of timekeeping software;
- Researches and resolves payroll issues related to IRS, NC retirement System, FLSA, tax garnishment, Workers Compensation, Military Leave and other Town benefits;
- Collaborates with Town staff and vendors on related payroll, benefits and software inquiries;
Additional duties include:
- Provides support for investment function such as update daily cash flow projections, prepares and enters executed trade activity in appropriate systems and prepares quarterly information provided to third party consultant;
- Assists with other accounting activities related to journal entries, procurement cards, vendor management and accounts payable as needed;
Evaluates operations and provides recommendations related to performance areas, gaps and efficiencies;
Works periodically on projects as assigned;
Performs other job-related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
MINIMUM AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
Requires any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from a technical/community college with an associate's degree in accounting, business or a closely related field with considerable experience in payroll and accounting work.
Preference will be given to candidates that have the following:
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with a focus on customer service
- Desire to seek out, foster and implement process improvements
- Desire to build collaborative groups within the organization
- Ability to learn and adapt in an agile environment
- Ability to work on a variety of tasks while being extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Knowledge of accounting procedures, payroll practices and laws
Requires drug testing and background check (which may include criminal check, education verification and credit history review) prior to employment.