Maintenance Assistant (Laborer)
Durham - North Carolina (NC), 27701
City of Durham
Advance in your career while making a real difference in the community you serve.
Work Days/Hours: Monday thru Thursday "or" Tuesday thru Friday
7:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m .
The Solid Waste Management Department collaborates with community partners to provide exceptional customer service and outstanding management of waste collection, recycling and disposal services that are safe, efficient, cost-effective and environmentally sound. Our work enhances the appearance of the City while ensuring its sustainability. If you're looking for meaningful work and the chance to serve, bring your skills and talent to Durham!
- Performs general labor functions by carrying materials; performing site inspections; mowing and trimming grass; cleaning equipment; and making minor repairs.
- Performs general maintenance and inspections, mowing and trimming grass, assisting with cleanup of environmental spills, operating non-CDL equipment, loading semi-tractor trailers and special assignments.
- Communicates work-related needs and issues to co-workers and supervisors by providing updates regarding the status of open work orders and construction, maintenance, community development, and/or facilities tasks.
- High School Diploma/Equivalent;
- One year (1) maintenance or customer service experience related to assignment.
- This position is critical to emergency operations and will report to work in spite of or because of an emergency or disaster event.
- Valid NC Class C Driver's License.
- Solid Waste/manual labor experience.