CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (CALL CENTER)
Rocky Mount - North Carolina (NC), 27804
City of Rocky Mount
Estimated salary $16.15 - $24.23 an hour
DEFINITION: This position is responsible for participating in CUSTOMER SERVICE activities.
REPORTS TO: The Call Center Supervisor or Customer Service Supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions
- Assists customers by telephone to resolve issues related to customer service
requests; refers customers to appropriate personnel as needed. May also assist
customers in person within the walk-in area as needed.
- Issues service orders to connect, disconnect, change, or investigate utility
residential and commercial customers ACCORDING to City policy. Transferring
customer calls with complex inquiries to appropriate staff.
- Evaluates and establishes payment arrangements for customers with
- Answers questions and provides assistance concerning utility bills, tax bills and
errors, or equipment failure.
- Reviews utility ACCOUNTS to insure that customers are paying in a satisfactory
prints disconnect orders; completes or cancels orders due to payment
- Researches and analyzes ACCOUNT transactions and billing histories.
- Researches and analyzes ONLINE ACCOUNT activity providing support for online and
- Researches information regarding City property taxes, assessments,
- Provides training for new personnel.
- Promotes City offered programs, such as ACH, Equalized Payments and WARM.
- Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major
apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Must have the desire to work with customers, be proactive in response and
- Must be dependable; able to follow instructions as well as take responsibility for
- Sound decision making skills/capability; ability to manage difficult customer
improve service, respond to requests for service/assistance.
- Provide personalized customer service of the highest level.
- Knowledge of utility rates, consumption, and fees.
- Knowledge of customer service principles.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Skill in analyzing problems and identifying solutions.
- Skill in preparing clear and accurate reports.
- Skill in establishing cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Skill in setting priorities for completing projects.
- Skill in performing mathematical CALCULATIONS.
- Skill in operating computers and other standard office equipment.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Knowledge of ADMINISTRATION and clerical processes
- Strong communication skills and basic COMPUTER knowledge.
- Able to be flexible, proactive and demonstrate perseverance.
- Should be able to work well under pressure.
- Able to multitask, and make efficient use of available resources
- Ability to type, data entry with an emphasis on accuracy.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Call Center Supervisor or CUSTOMER SERVICE Supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include City Council policies; City of Rocky Mount Administrative and Personnel Policy Manuals; CREDIT REPORTING guidelines; bankruptcy laws; Notary laws; privacy laws; and North Carolina General Statutes. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of related customer service activities. Strict regulations, high work volume, dissatisfied customers, and other difficulties associated with the collection of unpaid debts contribute to the complexity of the work.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to participate in the provision of customer services. Success in this position contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of Business Office operations and to the public image of the City government.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with other City personnel, customers, law enforcement personnel, and members of the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in a call center setting.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None.
Full time jobs are provided Benefits.
Benefit information can be found on the City's website http://www.rockymountnc.gov/departments___services/human_resources/employee_benefits/.