Educational Assistant III - SELA
The Dalles - Oregon (OR), 97058
North Wasco County School District 21
Estimated salary $12.25 an hour
This position is open until filled.
North Wasco County School District is pleased to announce that we are seeking qualified applicants for the position of Elementary School Social Emotional Learning Assistant. We are very proud of our District and the teachers, administrators, and support staff that provides the best education possible for the children of our community. Thank you for seeking this opportunity to be part of our team.
District Mission: “Graduating all students to be college and career ready; challenging, inspiring, and empowering them to be healthy and productive citizens.”
The Gorge Lifestyle:
The phrase Gorge Lifestyle alone speaks volumes. Located along the banks of the mighty Columbia River, just 84 miles east of Portland, The Dalles is the eastern gateway to the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Outdoor enthusiasts find the Gorge to be a perfect environment to pursue wind, snow, and whitewater sports, road and mountain biking, hunting, fishing, hiking, golf and more! Serving as a center of Native American trade for over 10,000 years and the end of the Oregon Trail, history buffs will find the area steeped in history and culture. The Dalles has a quaint and historic small town feel, with a population just over 13,000. Boasting a mere 14 inches of rain annually, The Dalles is home to bountiful agricultural products, including world-renowned cherries, grapes and wheat. It is home to Columbia Gorge Community College, which offers the first wind-power training program in the Pacific Northwest, Google’s Data Center, numerous orchards, vineyards, wineries, craft breweries and a thriving business community.
NWASCO Online: www.nwasco.k12.or.us
Application Process: All application materials must be submitted electronically, as part of your TalentEd/Recruit & Hire application. Include the following supplemental documents:
- Complete District Application
- Letter of interest
- Current Resume
- Two (2) recent letters of reference
Title: Behavior Support Assistant
Reports To: Building Counselor/Building Principal
Location: Elementary Schools
Work Year 186 Days/Year
Job Purpose Statement:
Provide and coordinate accommodations in the classroom for students, particularly those who exhibit significant behavioral difficulty as well as those students with developmental or learning needs. The primary function is to support students as they develop skills needed to succeed in the school environment. The work is performed under the supervision of a supervising teacher, school counselor, and school principal.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide direct assistance to elementary students with behavioral issues, emotional and physical needs;
- Gathers and prepares data of observations of student performance in academic and school activities for the purpose of monitoring and reporting progress with identified goals;
- Implement behavior plan for individual students;
- Assist teachers in implementing educational plans;
- Assists students by using behavioral strategies, positive reinforcements, social stories, peer facilitation and peer training for the purpose of teaching appropriate social behaviors in accordance with students’ social and behavioral learning goals;
- Assists students in a group, or on an individual basis,
Education/Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and experience in working with children and/or young adolescents; ability to meet the requirements of the Every Student Succeeds Education Act (ESSEA) (minimum 72 quarter hours of accredited college or equivalent education or successfully passed Work Keys Test in the areas of Applied Mathematics - 4, Workplace Documents - 4, and Business Writing - 3. Knowledge of Trauma Informed Care (Preferred).
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to students, parents, and patrons.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
Certificates and or Licenses:
- Must hold a current recognized first aid card or be willing to obtain same if directed by the district under ORS 342.664 (2).
Any offer of employment made by North Wasco County School District is contingent upon satisfactory results of:
- Drug screening tests for any illegal drug or substance classified in Schedules I through V under the Federal Controlled Substances Act, 21 U.S.C. 811 to 812. This includes, but is not limited to, marijuana, mind-altering substances or narcotic drugs such as hallucinogens, amphetamines, barbiturates, or any other illegal drug or controlled substance, except those federally recognized as legally prescribed by a physician and used as directed.
- Criminal history verification- a background check for any convictions directly related to the duties and responsibilities of the position. Unless otherwise required by law, only job-related convictions will be considered and will not automatically disqualify the applicant from employment.
Biligual/Bi-Cultural applicants are highly desireable, and encouraged to apply.