Camp Hill - Pennsylvania (PA),
American Lung Association
City: Camp Hill
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Specialist, Advocacy to join our incredible team in the Mid-Atlantic Region. Working as a member of the Advocacy and Public Policy Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible to support and manage relationships between the American Lung Association and statewide advocates in Pennsylvania, leveraging resources (staff, patients, volunteers, coalition partners, etc.) to advocate for Association-supported public policy on lung health related issues. Responsible for ensuring that constituents and their stories will have a voice and a place in the public policy process, as well as for implementing a regional and statewide government relations strategic plan reflecting the Association’s mission and desired outcomes. This position is grant-funded.
Advocacy Outreach and Constituent Cultivation
- Execute assigned objectives in the approved work plan for the Pennsylvania Alliance to Control Tobacco grant
- Work with Director, Advocacy to implement the Pennsylvania public policy menu
- Implement grassroots efforts and mobilize statewide advocates to act on tobacco prevention and control campaigns in Pennsylvania
- Engage coalition members, constituents, and volunteers in advocacy activities, such as meeting with elected officials, writing letters, and writing op-eds
- Educate local, state, and federal elected officials to advocate for Lung Association endorsed lung health-related policies
- Conduct advocacy-related trainings in-person and online
- Assist in implementing advocacy-related events, including Day at the Capitol and other special initiatives
- Represent the Association on relevant local and regional coalitions (tobacco control, asthma, and air quality)
Administrative and Infrastructure Building
- Help secure funding for local advocacy work; assist with administering grant contracts to ensure that work plans are executed, and deliverables completed on a timely basis
- Contribute to the management of grant budgets, expenses, and reporting
- Build, maintain, and cultivate relationships with
Staff Management and Development
- Represent interests, professionalism, and integrity of the Association in all activities and relationships through a unified message of the Association’s mission, as well as a commitment to organizational standards and leadership by personal example
- Recruit, supervise, and manage interns
- Bachelor’s Degree in public health, public policy, public administration, communications, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience, required
- Minimum two years of experience in public policy or advocacy‐related work, community outreach, community organizing, prevention, and/or public health advocacy
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including experience in public speaking
- Broad cultural competency and proven ability to cultivate and steward relationships across a diverse population, including non-profit organizations, community members, elected officials, government staff, advocates, and public health professionals
- Able to interact effectively and tactfully with all levels of management
- Able to work independently and in a team environment with minimum direct supervision, make decisions, and take initiative
- Highly organized with excellent attention to detail, accuracy, and quality
- Positive attitude with the ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to lift approximately 25 lbs.
- Flexibility to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends with some overnights required; must have a valid Driver’s license
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to (include the job title and the job number in the subject of the email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V