Philadelphia - Pennsylvania (PA), 19113
US Department of Defense
- As a Systems Accountant you will be responsible for the following duties:
- Advise the development of enterprise-wide strategies in order to achieve General Fund, Working Capital Fund, and Transaction Fund full financial statements auditability.
- Serves as senior technical advisor to facilitate the end to end (E2E) business cycle design as fully synchronized with DLA's continually evolving strategic direction and transformational programs.
- Provide coordination with the Independent Public Accounting Firm, to assess Notice of Findings and Recommendations (NFRs) in accordance with U.S. Generally Accepted Acct. Principles audit regulations to develop rationale to support accepting risk.
- Provide strategic advice to ensure DLA Corrective Action Plans (CAP) remediate root causes contributing to Material Weaknesses (MW), Significant Deficiencies (SD), and Control Deficiencies (CD).
- Provide audit experience to support DLA personnel in deciphering and accurately responding to auditor expectations throughout the annual audit cycle.
- Responsible for revising, designing, and adapting complex accounting and financial management system(s) for installation and implementation.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Tour of Duty: Flexible
- Security Requirements: Non-Critical Sensitive
- Appointment is subject to the completion of a favorable suitability or fitness determination, where reciprocity cannot be applied; unfavorably adjudicated background checks will be grounds for removal.
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Exempt
- Selective Service Requirement: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service.
- Recruitment Incentives: May Be Authorized
- Bargaining Unit Status: No
- This position requires DoD Financial Management Level 3 certification within 2 years in accordance with DoD Instruction 1300.26, DoD Directive 5118.03 and section 1599d of Title 10, U.S.C. Once obtained, you must maintain and improve proficiency.
QualificationsTo qualify for a Systems Accountant your resume and supporting documentation must support:
A. Basic Requirement: A Bachelor's Degree or higher in a related field such as business administration, finance, or
public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include
up to 6 hours of credit in business law. Applicants MUST submit a copy of their official college transcripts from an
accredited educational institution which reflects that an accounting or equivalent degree was conferred and the date
conferred. Failure to submit your transcripts may result in lost consideration.
A combination of education and experience - at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination
of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge.
Applicants MUST submit a copy of their official college transcripts from an accredited educational institution. Failure to
submit your transcripts may result in lost consideration. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
- a. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
- b. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
- c. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
to successfully perform the duties of the position, and is directly in or related to this position. In addition to meeting
the Basic Requirement above, to qualify for the GS-14 grade level, specialized experience must be at the GS-13
grade level or equivalent under other pay systems in the Federal service, military or private sector. Applicants must
meet eligibility requirements including time-in-grade (General Schedule (GS) positions only), time-after-competitive
appointment, minimum qualifications, and any other regulatory requirements by the cut-off/closing date of the
announcement. Creditable specialized experience includes:
- Performed as a senior technical advisor on proposed areas of assumed risk without incurring material risks to financial statements and utilizes ability to identify the key control gaps in risk control matrices.
- Expertise in educating the functional and financial divisions on how their jobs/functions impact the organization and business/financial results and auditor intent/expectations.
- Expertise knowledge of government financial statements with experience auditing federal entities through development, evaluation, and performance of Test of Design (TOD) and Test of Effectiveness (TOE) in accordance with OMB Circular A-123.
- Expertise in building a comprehensive solution that addresses the root Notice of Findings and Recommendations (NFR) cause and CAP development.
- Performed enforcement of accounting and auditing policies and requirements established by DoD, OMB, GAO, FASAB, Treasury, and Congress.
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
MILITARY SPOUSE PREFERENCE: In order to receive this preference you must choose to apply using the "Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP)" eligibility. If you are claiming military spouse preference and are determined to be among the Best Qualified for the position, you will be referred to the hiring manager as a priority applicant.
For Important General Applicant Information and Definitions go to: http://www.dla.mil/portals/104/documents/careers/GenAppInfoDef.pdf
Reemployed Annuitants: This position does not meet criteria for appointment of Reemployed Annuitants. The DoD criteria for hiring Reemployed Annuitants can be found at: http://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/140025/1400.25-V300.pdf
INFORMATION FOR VETERANS is available at: http://www.dla.mil/Careers/Programs/veterans.aspx. As of 23 December 2016, Military retirees seeking to enter federal service in the Department of Defense now require a waiver if they would be appointed within 180 days following their official date of retirement.
DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE: The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) has established a Drug-Free Federal Workplace Policy. All applicants tentatively selected for DLA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with DLA for a period of six months. This policy extends to random testing for the use of illegal drugs by employees who occupy testing designated positions defined as sensitive in Section 7(d) of Executive Order 12564. The Defense Logistics Agency's Drug Free Workplace Plan's drug testing panel includes testing for the following illegal substances: marijuana, cocaine, opiates (codeine/morphine), 6-Acetylmorphine (heroin), phencyclidine, amphetamines (amphetamine/methamphetamine), methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA), methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA), oxycodone, oxymorphone, hydrocodone, and hydromorphone. ADVISORY: By using cannabidiol (CBD) products you are risking a positive drug test result for marijuana.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
The assessments for this job will measure the following Competencies:
- Financial Concepts, Policies, and Principles
- Financial Management Systems
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Decision Making
- Interpersonal Skills
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Stress Tolerance
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position you must provide a complete Application Package. Each Application Package MUST include:
- Your Resume listing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed. If multiple resumes are submitted by an applicant, only the last resume submitted will be reviewed for the qualifications and referred for selection consideration if eligible.
- Applicable documents to support the eligibility(s) for which you are applying. Please review the following link for a listing of the additional documents you will need to provide: Supporting Documents.
- If you are requesting a reasonable accommodation to the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, submit documentation to support your request, including the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form found here.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
See below for important information regarding this job.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.