Pittsburgh - Pennsylvania (PA),
US Department of Veterans Affairs
Job family (Series)
2005 Supply Clerical And Technician
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to background/security investigation
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
QualificationsTo qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 01/03/2020.
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement. For a GS-5 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-4. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you possess one-year time-in-grade, as required by the announcement. In this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one-year time-in-grade.
Note: Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
You may qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below:
- Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-4 in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization. Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are not limited to: providing supplies and materials; scanning, barcoding, receiving, storing and distributing medical and surgical supplies, instruments, and other material; maintaining stock at primary and secondary inventory locations for all clinical and administrative services; performing daily inventory of primary and secondary inventory points using bar coding equipment; checking inventory stock and resolving differences between records and physical count of stock; and, delivering supplies in a timely and accurate manner, ensuring supplies and materials are delivered. OR,
- Education: Applicants may substitute education for the required experience. To qualify based on education for this grade level you must have 4 years of education above high school. NOTE: This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45 quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school (TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED FOR CREDIT). OR,
- Combination: Applicants may also combine education and experience to qualify at this level. You must have an combination of specialized experience and education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to 6 months of specialized experience. (TRANSCRIPTS REQUIRED FOR CREDIT)..
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Technical Competence
- Technology Application
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Physical Requirements: Standing and walking during the entire workday, and frequent reaching, bending and lifting of supply packages (occasionally weighing as much as 50 pounds). Work requires pushing loaded carts of medical supplies (weighing in excess of 100+ pounds). With proper assistance, may move heavier items that weigh over 40 pounds. Works throughout the medical center and supported catchment areas, which includes wards, storage buildings, and warehouses that range from a clean environment to hot, cold, drafty and poorly lighted. The possibility of trips, falls, scrapes, cuts, bruises or injury are present in the day-to-day work of the position. Work requires stocking supplies in the primary inventory area as well as numerous secondary inventory points throughout the hospital work area, including wards, clinics, operating rooms, warehouses and nursing areas. Work requires maintaining a clean environment while performing tasks that can produce dust or other infectious pollutants while transitioning between environments.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/.
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Receiving Service Credit or Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply, including those eligible for hiring under 5 CFR 213.3102(u), Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more. Contact the Agency Contact for information on how to apply under this appointment authority via the Selective Placement Coordinator.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced Federal/VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be qualified you must submit appropriate documentation (a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level, and duty location) and be found well-qualified for this vacancy. To be well-qualified: applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the required competencies of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
For more information on the "Who may apply" eligibility requirements, please refer to the OHRM Status Candidates and Other Candidate Definitions document.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Narrative responses are not required at this time. If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview.Your resume and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume (all applicants)
- Valid Schedule A letter (if applicable)
- DD214 for Veterans Preference (if applicable)
- VA Issued Service Connection Disability letter (if applicable)
- SF-15 (if claiming any Veteran Preference)
- SF-50 (if claiming current employment with this agency)
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (Schedule A)
- Disability Letter (VA)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (if applicable for Time in Grade and/or Eligibility):
- Most recent SF-50 if you are a current or former Federal employee
- An SF-50 showing your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you possess one-year time-in-grade, as required by the announcement. In this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly demonstrates one-year time-in-grade
- Award 50's do not provide sufficient information and will not be accepted for the purpose of verifying time-in-grade.
- Examples of appropriate SF-50's include:
- Within grade increases at the highest grade held; or
- Promotions with an effective date more than one year old; or
- SF-50's at the highest grade held with an effective date more than one year old.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
The positions are located within VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System, Logistics Department, Expendable Supply. They are providing expendable medical supplies from Distribution primary inventory supply to stock inpatient wards, outpatient clinics and other treatment areas within the facility.
As a Supply Technician, you will be supervised by the Expendable Supply Inventory Management Specialist. Incumbent will provide expendable medical supplies from distribution primary vendor stock, to inpatient/outpatient clinics and other treatment facilities within VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System. Major duties and responsibilities include, but not limited to: maintaining stock of primary and secondary inventory locations for all clinical and administrative services; pull stock and material, replenish stock inventory, interact with customers and maintains records on stock levels; distributes items according to established or ad-hoc requirements in a computerized inventory management system; complete specialty cart preparation and stocking; informs clinic or ward personnel on new or changed items and supplies, current medical resources and shelf life; works with customers to resolve supply management issues including receiving requests, clarifying user requirements, explaining delays, expediting deliveries and resolving problems; ensures data integrity of the inventory management systems and completes other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: University Drive - 7:00am - 3:30pm Wednesday - Sunday (off Mon-Tues) / 8:00am - 4:30pm Thursday - Monday (off Tues - Weds) / 8:00am - 4:30pm Sat - Weds (off Thurs - Fri).
Telework: Not available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Supply Technician/PD417186
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
***THIS IS A BARGAINING UNIT POSITION***
Incumbent will be primarily assigned to the University Drive Campus, but may be required to perform duties at both campuses (HJ Heinz or University Drive).