Quality Lab Technician
Scranton - Pennsylvania (PA), 18507
Headquartered in Stow, Ohio, Mactac was founded as Morgan Adhesives Co. in 1959 by the late entrepreneur Burton (Burt) Morgan. Along with financial backing from Bemis Co. and a business model that focused on providing high quality products, innovative solutions and superior customer service, Mactac flourished. For 60 years, we’ve been manufacturing and distributing pressure-sensitive adhesive (PSA) materials that are used in label printing, graphic design, packaging, retail display, fleet graphics, automotive assembly, medical device assembly, and more. Today, Mactac employs 525 people and has operations in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
Mactac’s parent company, LINTEC, is a leading company in the field of adhesive materials. The product lineup covers many diversified fields including not only adhesive papers and films for seals and labels, but also shatter-proof window films, adhesive sheets for outdoor signs, interior finishing mounting sheets, automobile-use adhesive products, semiconductor-related tape, and LCD-related adhesive products.
Mactac pressure sensitive adhesives are used in a wide range of markets and industries and our business is structured accordingly. We are a vertically integrated organization comprised of five business units – each specially designed to meet the unique needs of our customers.
Performs a variety of activities involved in the Quality Control of pressure sensitive products following established methods and procedures. Utilizes standard laboratory equipment and methods to perform laboratory testing of physical properties of various raw materials, compounds and coated products. Test results are used to compare against specifications or performance goals for standard production. Work will follow standardized methods with testing or processing equipment of moderate complexity in the preparation and evaluation of materials and products. Generally, requires management support and supervision to handle intermediate to difficult issues.
- Performs routine QC laboratory tests to determine the physical properties and performance of various raw materials, compounds, and coated products. Utilizes standard laboratory test equipment and standardized test methods. Records test results on forms and inputs data into QA databases. Reports test results to Quality Manager for interpretation.
- Performs testing for verification of conformance to specifications and correlation with on-line measurement equipment.
- Performs additional testing in support of the Quality department for hold dispositions, claims assessment and engineering requests.
- Performs routine QC lab equipment calibrations and validations as per applicable standard operating procedures. Records calibration results on forms and inputs data into calibration database. Analyzes SPC data and reports abnormalities to Quality Manager or designate.
- Dispositions material holds as per applicable defective material control standards and product specifications.
- Assists with crew quality control training in both the coating and slitting departments.
- Reviews raw material order certifications to ensure all material received have COA’s and COA data meets specifications.
- Assists with the generation, distribution and maintenance of customer order Certificates of Analysis and Certificates of Conformance for all Mactac locations
- Reviews off coater data sheets and adhesive gauge scans for conformance to specifications.
- Performs measurement systems analysis (MSA) to evaluate test methods, measuring instruments, and the entire process of obtaining measurements to ensure the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Participates in the laboratory 5S program by maintaining clean equipment, organized work area and routinely assists in cleaning or servicing the laboratory.
- Assists in writing and review of Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) or MACtac Test Methods (MTM) as assigned.
- Works primarily on assigned shift, however, must be able to work alternate shifts as needed to support the business needs including weekends.
- Performs other duties as needed and assigned by supervisor.
- Decision Impact: Quality and Plant
- Department Responsibility: Quality
- Budgetary (P&L) Responsibility: No
- Direct Reports: No
- Indirect Reports: No
- Physical Requirements: As needed
- Management Responsibilities Level: Individual Contributor / Entry – Level
- Reports to: Quality Manager
- Location: Scranton, PA (Close proximity to New York City, NY & Philadelphia, PA)
- Travel: less than 10%
- Minimum High School Diploma (or Equivalency) required
- Two-Year Degree with Emphasis on Math and/or Chemistry preferred
- Industry experience (Coatings, structural adhesives, packaging adhesives, hot melt carton-sealing adhesives, plastics compounding) not required by preferred
- 1-3 Years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office experience required
- Professional verbal and written communication skills required
- Math skills with emphasis on measurable impact of mathematical calculations required
- Basic understanding of SPC control charts required
- Basic problem solving and analytical skills required
- Ability to work independently required
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Ineligible for Relocation
What You’ll Love About Us:
- Learning & Development: Tuition assistance available along with an internal training budget. Get with a hands-on company, in a fast-paced environment where you can have the runway to make change.
- Rest & Relaxation: 10 paid holidays off per year on top of a generous vacation policy.
- Great company culture: Work for a company that genuinely values work/life balance. We also have a give back mentality with participation in a variety of community activities & events.
- Health Benefits: Medical with HSA options, Dental, and Vision starting day one for you and your family.
- Prepare for the Future: Competitive 401(k) with company match.
- The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
- It is the policy of Mactac that all employees are employed at the will of Mactac for an indefinite period and are subject to termination at any time, for any reason, with or without cause or notice. At the same time, employees may terminate their employment at any time and for any reason.
- Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information, creed, citizenship status, marital status or any other consideration prohibited by law or contract.