York - Pennsylvania (PA),
York County Libraries
The Library Assistant will provide assistance to a diverse population of customers in using library resources. Assistance is given to
customers in person, via phone, and via email. These resources include, but are not limited to: printed materials, digital media, online
databases, internet searches, faxing, copying, and printing. The Library Assistant will also assist in the day-to-day functions of the
Information Services department – checking in/out materials, shelving books, opening/closing duties, creating/updating patron records,
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Must have an Associate’s Degree (or equivalent). Must have substantial computer experience with databases; software applications
such as Microsoft Office and online alternatives; and performing Internet searches. Experience providing customer service in an urban
public library setting is preferred. Child Abuse clearance, Pennsylvania Criminal History Check, FBI Criminal Record Check and
Mandated Reporter Training is required.
Candidate must enjoy being a team player and providing excellent customer service to a diverse population of all ages. This position
requires someone who has strong communication skills and who is truly enthusiastic about helping others. It is important that the
candidate be dependable, a self-starter and feel comfortable using computers and performing other research-related duties.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds from ground level to waist level and be able to bend, squat, and kneel occasionally throughout
- Must be able to push/pull carts weighing up to 120 pounds.
- Must be able to reach, lift, and stretch throughout the work day.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk up to four hours at a time.
- Must be able to sit for up to four hours at a time
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist patrons in utilizing computer software and e-resources to meet their information needs. Refers complex information
- Assists in the organization and merchandising of the reference and non-fiction collections, including the Staff and Archive area.
- Performs opening and closing duties.
- Assists patrons with locating library materials by using the ILS system and directing them to appropriate location of materials.
- Assists with monitoring the use of the Computer Lab.
- Informs customers of Library policies and rules and enforces these.
- Troubleshoots and reports hardware, software, and printer issues as necessary.
- Make recommendations for improvement of customer service.
- Creates and updates patron records in the ILS, collects fees, and uses the cash register software to track all transactions.
- Provides additional Information Services support as requested.