Elk Point - South Dakota (SD), 57025
Performs the most complex tasks associated with preparing, priming and painting trailers, small parts, subcomponents, and ship outs. Touches up painted product as necessary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Mix paints to match color specifications or ' original colors, stirring or thinning paints, using spatulas or power mixing equipment.
- Select paint according to company requirements and match paint colors, following specified color charts.
- Dispose of hazardous waste in an appropriate manner.
- Remove grease, dirt, paint, or rust from surfaces in preparation for paint application, using abrasives, solvents, brushes, blowtorches, washing tanks, or sandblasters.
- Spray prepared surfaces with specified amounts of primers or finish coatings.
- Pour paint into spray guns and adjust nozzles and paint mixes for proper paint flow and coating thickness.
- Monitor painting operations to identify flaws, such as blisters or streaks, and correct their causes.
- Disassemble, clean, and reassemble sprayers or power equipment, using solvents, wire brushes, and cloths.
- Select the correct spray gun system for the material being applied.
- Fill small dents or scratches with body fillers and smooth surfaces to prepare for painting.
- Apply rust-resistant undercoats and caulk and seal seams.
- Sand and apply sealer to properly dried vehicle finish.
- Sand surfaces between coats of paint or primer to remove flaws and enhance adhesion for subsequent coats.
- Clean equipment and work areas.
- Apply primer over any repairs made to surfaces
Required Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to watching gauges, dials, or other indicators to make sure a machine is working properly.
- Conduct testing and inspections of products, services, or processes to evaluate quality or performance.
- Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Monitoring/Assessing operations to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Operate painting or coating equipment.
- Inspect finishes of workpieces or finished products.
- Must be able to be certified in Hazardous Waste Handling
Preferred Skills and Qualifications
- Prefer at least 2 years in a manufacturing setting
- Prefer 2 years’ experience working in a Pre-paint, Blaster or with other painting equipment
- Usually done in specially ventilated areas. Employees who work in this area must wear masks or respirators that cover their nose and mouth.
- Ability to stand for long periods.
- Must also be able to bend, stoop, or crouch in uncomfortable positions to reach different parts
- Occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling 25/50/80 pounds regularly
- The ability to respond quickly to sounds
- The ability to move safely over uneven terrain or in confined spaces
- The ability to see and respond to dangerous situations
- Be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl throughout an 8-12-hours per day
- The ability to work in extreme weather
- The ability to wear personal protective gear correctly most of the day
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.