Sturgis - South Dakota (SD), 57785
Estimated salary $17.21 - $22.46 an hour
General Statement of Duties
Under the direct supervision of the Jail Administrator, is responsible for performing duties as assigned in the areas of legal process pertaining to Jail Records, Safety and Security issues, maintaining order and custody control.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
1. Maintain a variety of records as related to the legal process involving the jail.
2. Fingerprint and photograph inmates. Classify, screen, and assign inmates to housing.
3. Issue jail clothing, bedding, and hygiene items to inmates. Launder items to maintain health and hygiene.
4. Conduct physical checks on inmates for health and sanitation, well-being, behaviors through the process known as I.P.C. to prevent and/or to detect suicides and/or escape risks, as well as assaultive risks. Must be able to recognize and control possible conflicts.
5. Assist in jail safety and security procedures to include the control of weapons, contraband, keys, tools, doors, and other related safety and security procedures. Disperse medication to the prisoners as prescribed by a licensed medical authority or within guidelines to ensure safety and security.
6. Be responsible for the preparation, serving, and clean up of meals.
- Assist in assigning inmates to work detail by screening, selecting, evaluating and supervising.
- Perform cleaning and minor maintenance duties to ensure health and sanitation, and safety and security issues are in compliance with state and federal regulations.
9. Document all incidents and complete needed reports in a detailed, factual, and relative to issue or topic.
10. Attend training sessions and meetings as required.
11. Wear Personal Protective Equipment as deemed necessary.
12. Perform duties in a manner consistent with safe practices.
13. Perform other such duties and functions as deemed necessary.
Experience and Education:
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D. Certification.
2. Ability to obtain one (1) week basic Jailer training Certification with in 12 months of hire date.
3. No prior felony criminal record.
- Knowledge of procedures of jail facilities, codes, and statutes that apply to detention and legal process.
5. Ability to demonstrate good communication skills, written and oral.
6. Ability to maintain a professional relationship with the inmates, public and private agencies, general public and other employees.
- Ability to function effectively under stressful conditions.
- Currently posses, or ability to obtain First Aid/First Responder and CPR Certification.
- Ability to use good judgement and objective decision making.
The physical demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and sit,
- The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee is required to be on a rotating schedule.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Correctional staff must be able to physically restrain and/or move inmates when deemed necessary.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- The employee is exposed to highly contagious, communicable diseases and viruses.
- The employee is exposed to hostile confrontations and/or situations.
- The employee is exposed to highly stressful, tension filled situations.
Examination, Testing, and Certification:
The Examination, Testing and Certification described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Valid South Dakota Drivers License.
- Valid South Dakota Law Enforcement Certification.
- Valid Certification in CPR, First Aid, and First Responder.
4. Successful competition in written and/or oral interviews.
5. Other such examination as deemed appropriate and necessary by the Sheriff and County.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.21 - $22.46 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift