Mgr, Scientific Research Core Facility-TPSR
Nashville - Tennessee (TN),
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Click Here To View The VUMC Promise of Discovery
Appointed through the Office of Research, the Scientific Core Research Facility Manager-Translational Pathology Shared Resource is responsible for ensuring the scientific core research facility activities are carried out throughout the Medical Center in conjunction with the Office of Research. This position supervises staff; plans, organizes, and coordinate the scientific core research facility work flow; interacts closely with research faculty and staff throughout the Medical Center to provide training, consultation, and other services as offered by the scientific core research facility.
- Direct the daily operations of a scientific core research facility. Daily activities include, but are not limited to, overseeing core services, staffing/personnel management and performance, staff training (technical, safety, core facility policy, and compliance training).
- Establish and execute business plans for the scientific core research facility.
- Develop scientific core research facilities policies and procedures.
- Set goals and plans to achieve results.
- Plan for future growth opportunities as appropriate.
- Recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and discipline staff as appropriate.
- Interacts with the Office of Research to determine equipment needs of the scientific research core facility.
- Consult with the Office of Research annually to assess equipment needs.
- Provides recommendations to the Office of Research on equipment purchases.
- Manages the scientific core research facility equipment.
- Optimizes the utilization of the scientific core facility equipment.
- Supervise and monitor instrument calibration and maintenance.
- Troubleshoot instrument problems.
- Responsible for inventory and capital equipment.
- Provide services, support, and training to research faculty, staff, graduate student, and postdoctoral fellows.
- Provide training to researchers (faculty and staff) on instrument operation.
- Provide assistance on experimental design as appropriate.
- Provide assistance with data analysis and interpretation of data.
- Assist researchers in day to day problem solving in research efforts.
- Ensures the scientific core research facility is compliant with regulatory agencies and Vanderbilt policies and procedures.
- Maintains and generates report, records, and statistics and ensures compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Maintain all required quality control documents and have documents available for audit at all times.
- Ensures financial goals are attained for scientific core research facility performance based on projections and defined goals.
- Participate in annual budget planning.
- Monitor budget expenditure of funds for scientific core research facility to stay within approved budget levels.
- Make recommendations to director/principal investigator regarding staff, supply and equipment needs for scientific core research facility services.
- Accurately compile information for monthly billing.
- Invoices clients for services utilizing CORES.
- Interact with the Office of Research to set and manage the scientific core price levels utilizing the CORES invoicing system.
- Provides the appropriate documentation to support prices for services.
- Ensures scientific core research services are billed on a monthly basis utilizing the CORES invoicing system.
- Develop and maintain websites, flyers, bulleting, newsletters to communicate information core users.
- Communicates price levels as appropriate to other core users.
- Consult with core users to determine their satisfaction with services provided by the scientific core research facility.
Bachelor's Degree (or equivalent experience) and 6 years experience
Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Physical Requirements/Strengths needed & Physical Demands:
- Occasional: Sitting: Remaining in seated position
- Occasional: Standing: Remaining on one's feet without moving.
- Occasional: Walking: Moving about on foot.
- Occasional: Lifting under 35 lbs: Raising and lowering objects under 35 lbs from one level to another
- Occasional: Push/Pull: Exerting force to move objects away from or toward.
- Occasional: Bending/Stooping: Trunk bending downward and forward by bending spine at waist requiring full use of lower extremities and back muscles
- Occasional: Reaching below shoulders: Extending arms in any direction below shoulders.
- Occasional: Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with hand or hands.
- Occasional: Vision: Clarity of near vision at 20 inches or less and far vision at 20 feet or more with depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision.
- Frequent: Noise: May include exposure to occupational noise levels which equal or exceed an 8-hr time-weighted average of 85 decibels, requiring enrollment in VUMC's Hearing Conservation Program which includes training, use of hearing protection, and periodic audiometry.
- Continuous: Communication: Expressing or exchanging written/verbal/electronic information.