Tennessee - Tennessee (TN),
The YMCA of East Tennessee
The swim instructor provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes. In addition, every position in the YMCA of East Tennessee is responsible for upholding the Judeo-Christian principles that are central to our mission by modeling behaviors that exemplify the Y’s core values - caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Instructs swimming lessons in accordance with Y guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
- Builds effective, authentic relationships with students and parents; helps them connect with each other and the Y. Encourages parent involvement and identifies potential volunteers.
- Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers students and parents to other programs.
- Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
- Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
- Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
- Reports for duty in professional and timely manner.
- Follows all Y policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
- Other duties may be assigned.
This job has no supervisor responsibilities.
Individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below represent the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
There are no educational requirements for this position. One to three months experience in swim instructions is required. Must be able to swim and demonstrate techniques being taught.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or scheduled form.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and /or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately loud.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance.
May be required to stand, use hands to finger, handle, of feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and climb or balance. Occasionally required to walk; stoop, knell, crouch, or crawl; and smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Ability to lift equipment, and to lift a small to average size child.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, COURSES
- Current citzen CPR or higher; required for hire.
- New Employee Orientation; required to start work, provided by the Y.
Additional training, licenses, and courses may be required throughout employment.
The YMCA of East Tennessee is a equal opportunity employment employer. Reasonable acconnodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perfrom essential functions.