General Transp Tech III
Sterling City - Texas (TX),
Texas Department of Transportation
Estimated salary $31,144 - $49,134 a year
TxDOT's San Angelo District is looking to hire a General Transportation Tech III based in Sterling City, TX. If you want a STABLE job with 3-day weekends every week, then apply now!
At TxDOT we value employee work-life-balance. In keeping with our commitment to this value our employees benefit from a wide array of programs and activities that include compressed work schedules, wellness leave incentive, career development programs, tuition assistance, lots of paid time off and various other benefits. For a complete list of our total compensation package please visit our website at http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/hrd/careers/hidden_benefits.pdf
San Angelo District
Work Location: Sterling City Maintenance, 6112 N. US 87, Sterling City TX 76951
Work Schedule: Monday - Thursday 7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Performs highly-skilled roadway maintenance and repair; light and heavy equipment operation; preventive and minor maintenance on equipment, traffic control; helping the public during emergency situations; and training other employees. Work requires contact with private entities. Employees at this level perform work independently on assignments; however, all unusual issues are referred to the supervisor.
The essential duties for this job include:
- Assists with traffic control; places and gathers cones, warning signs and barricades; flags traffic. Drives a state vehicle to perform duties.
- Operates complex heavy equipment such as a motor grader, large gradall, heavy bulldozer, crane, herbicide truck, heavy asphalt paving machine, self-propelled asphalt distributor and profiling/milling machine.
- Operates heavy equipment such as a front-end loader-one and a half cubic yards or more, tractor-trailer haul truck, large dragline, shovel, paint striper and dump truck.
- Operates light equipment such as a front-end loader-one and a quarter cubic yards or less, pneumatic roller, rotary broom, spreader box, backhoe, street sweeper and mower.
- Performs preventive maintenance inspections (PMI), routine servicing and minor repairs on requipment and completes various required reports including time-keeping, equipment forms, inventory, accident forms and PMI.
- Sands or cleans bridges and roads, posts warning signs, helps the public and performs other work as directed during emergency situations such as floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, snowstorms, accidents and hazardous material spills.
- Assists in proviing support to local law enforcement official at accident sites; assists stranded motorists as required.
- Moves/picks up litter and roadway debris.
- Performs other job responsibilities as assigned.
- May serve as a lead
The required competencies for this job include:
- Communicate effectively
- Follow verbal and written instructions
- Materials used in highway/bridge construction and maintenance
- The Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
- Public relations for maintaining effective working relationships with individuals and groups
- Leading, assigning, reviewing and monitoring the work of others
- Prioritizing and organizing work assignments
- The use of heavy highway equipment
- The use of light highway equipment
- Maintaining a safe working relationship
This job requires the following:
- None in formal education
This job requires the following:
- 3 years in heavy equipment operation or roadway maintenance work.
- (Experience can be satisfied by fulltime or prorated parttime equivalent)
The following Licenses and Certifications are required for this job:
- Class A CDL at time of application
- Safety Impact Certificate
- Commercial Driver Certificate
- This is a Safety Impact and Commercial Driver position and will be subject to random drug testing.
Conditions for this Position: Standards of Employment
Additional Conditions of Employment:
- As required, the Safety Impact cand Commercial Driver certification will be issued by TxDOT at the time of hire.
- Must have or obtain N endorsement on the Class A CDL within 60 days after hired.
- Must pass a drug test prior to employment for commercial driver and safety impact positions. Safety impact employees will be subject to additional drug and alcohol testing during employment.
- Required to work weekends and holidays.
- Required to work hours other than 8 to 5.
- Required to work under exposure to inclement weather conditions.
- Required to wear personal protective equipment provided by employer and comply with all safety requirements.
- Must attend work regularly and observe approved work hours.
- Employee may be contacted during off-duty hours to see if he or she can report to work for emergency conditions.
Note: Job titles, salary groups, and/or salary ranges may change on or after September 1, 2019.
You must complete the online State of Texas application to include work experience, education and all information necessary. Your online application and additional information on your resume, if provided, will be reviewed to determine if you meet minimum requirements for the position.
Employee may be contacted after hours or on weekends to respond to emergency conditions and must be able to respond within 45 minutes of notification.
The Texas Department of Transportation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination in the workplace.