Part-Time- Youth After-School Specialist
Alexandria - Virginia (VA),
Community Preservation and Development Corporation (CPDC) is a leader in the affordable housing industry. We invest in real estate, people, and communities. Our mission is to develop vibrant communities through innovation and partnerships.
Over the last 29 years, CPDC has established an unparalleled reputation for revitalizing communities across the Greater Washington, DC Metropolitan Region. CPDC offers affordable housing to over 10,000 residents across more than 30 properties (5,000 units) in Washington, DC, Virginia, and Maryland. In these communities, residents have established tenant associations, organized voter registration, improved their school performance, achieved their GEDs, improved their employability, help to establish electronic villages, and created safe and more secure communities.
This position is located at CPDC’s Stony Brook apartment community in Alexandria, VA. The Youth After-School Specialist will work with program staff to develop, implement, and evaluate an After-School Program and Summer Enrichment Program for children and youth grades 1st through 12th. The Youth After-School Specialist will assist students with homework, engage students in learning activities and work with CPDC staff to further develop programs that foster a love for learning and reinforce attendance and participation expectations.
Hours are Monday through Thursday, 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM (with some flexibility).
This position reports to the Community Network Manager at Stony Brook and is funded through the Fairfax County Consolidated Community Funding Pool.Job Responsibilities
- Keep students (grades 1st through 12th ) engaged and focused on learning activities and support them in completing homework assignments
- Collaborate with Tutors to ensure elementary students are receiving appropriate support towards Language Arts and Math progress goals
- Collaborate with Tutors to ensure middle and high school students are receiving
- Bachelor’s degree, plus a minimum of two years of relevant work experience; or a minimum of three years of documented, successful experience in community development or community organizing activities
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Competent computer and technology skills.
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Experience and/or understanding working with the local schools and children of all ages
- A passion for working with children, especially in an academic and enrichment setting
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong tutoring skills with emphasis on Math and Language Arts
- Good role model for youth
- Tolerance and openness to different world views and sensitivity to other cultures and languages.
- Respect for self and others
- Ability to problem solve, to see solutions and opportunities as well as obstacles.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Willingness to learn, to accept supervision and direction
- Dependability in reporting to work on time and assuming assigned responsibilities
- Good interpersonal relationship skills
- Knowledge of positive classroom management strategies preferred.