Franklin - Virginia (VA), 23851
The Children’s Center
$10.74 an hour
The Children's Center, a non-profit agency, is dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of young children, one family at a time. Our mission is to nurture and educate children and their families. We provide opportunities for education, parenting support and resources to families in our communities.
The Children's Center Head Start/Early Head Start is a federally funded program that provides no cost services to qualifying families who reside in the community. Comprehensive services are provided to pregnant women and their partners and children from birth to 5. Child development, health and family services are provided through a variety of program options designed to meet the needs of low-income and at risk families.
This position assists in supervising and teaching children at an assigned Community Center.
- Assists in the delivery of instruction and care to assigned children,
- Assists with lesson plans developed by Lead Teacher, including assisting with a variety of indoor and outdoor activities.
- Conducts small group activities.
- Assists in the maintenance of child records.
- Attends teacher meetings.
- Prepares incident reports.
- Monitors students in a variety of settings.
- Attends required training.
- Communicates with parents.
- Ensures compliance with safety standards.
- Sanitizes classrooms at end-of-day; washes laundry.
- Prepares and serves meals.
- Documents child arrival and departure.
- Changes diapers and assists with toilet training.
Performs related duties.
- Knowledge of early childhood education principles and practices.
- Knowledge of Children's Center policies and procedures.
- Skill in the delivery of instruction to children.
- Skill in the operation of computers and job related software programs.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- The work consists of related instructional and child-care duties. The unique needs of each child contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to assist in the teaching of children. Success in this position results in the efficient and effective provision of programming to children.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other center personnel, children, parents, volunteers, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, to provide services, or to motivate or influence persons.
- The work is typically performed while standing, walking, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light objects, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
- The work is typically performed in a classroom and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee may be exposed to contagious or infectious diseases. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education. (Associates Degree)
- Preference given to candidates possessing a Child Development Associates Degree or a degree in Early Childhood Education.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license for the type of vehicle or equipment used.