Franklin - Virginia (VA), 23851
The Children’s Center
$12.41 an hour
The Children's Center, a non-profit agency, is dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of young children, one family at a time. Our mission is to nurture and educate children and their families. We provide opportunities for education, parenting support and resources to families in our communities.
The Children's Center Head Start/Early Head Start is a federally funded program that provides no cost services to qualifying families who reside in the community. Comprehensive services are provided to pregnant women and their partners and children from birth to 5. Child development, health and family services are provided through a variety of program options designed to meet the needs of low-income and at risk families.This position is responsible for recruiting and enrolling families into the Head Start/Early Head Start programs.
- Assists families in the application and enrollment process.
- Inputs, uploads and updates enrollment application in ChildPlus.
- Reviews and follows up incomplete applications.
- Submits families’ eligibility documents to ERSEA Manager for approval.
- Creates and maintains waiting lists and enrollment lists for Head Start and Early Head Start programs.
- Sends and receives email; processing incoming and outgoing mail.
- Sends weekly enrollment report to Site Supervisors.
- Generates and mails acceptance letters to families.
- Conducts outreach activities to recruit prospective families.
- Updates waiting list and enrollment caseloads.
- Notify ERSEA Manager of case load vacancies.
- Assists with tracking parent participation in Family Services events.
- Assists with the collection and aggregation of family surveys.
- Explains partnership process and parent responsibilities to newly enrolled families.
- Assists with the facilitation parent events.
- Maintains related records and completes related reports.
- Assists Family Services staff in helping parents to locate community resources and make referrals.
- Attends required training and staff development activities.
- Forwards children’s charts to Site Supervisors for entry approval.
- Performs other duties as required
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of early childhood development principles.
- Knowledge of pregnancy and prenatal development.
- Knowledge of family dynamics.
- Knowledge of available and appropriate community resources.
- Knowledge of Head Start Performance Standards.
- Skill in crisis management and conflict resolution.
- Skill in the use of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in the provision of services and assistance to parents.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Assists and advises parents with a variety of issues, concerns and needs.
The ERSEA Manager assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include Head Start Performance Standards and Children's Center policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of related duties in the provision of services to parents during the application and enrollment process. Unique situations faced by each family contribute to the complexity of the position.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, parents, children, representatives of community agencies, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to support families in the recruitment and enrollment process.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, bending, crouching or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office and in client homes. The employee may be exposed to noise and contagious or infectious diseases.
- The work requires the ability to drive and transport families to/from centers and community agencies.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Required: high school diploma or G.E.D. and one to two years experience in social work, human services, counseling or relative work experience.
- Preferred: Associates or Bachelors degree in social work, human services or related field or Basic Family Services Credential.
- Competency in basic computer skills with proficiency in word processing and data entry
- Valid Driver's License with positive driving record