Software Configuration Analyst, IT
Charles Town - West Virginia (WV), 25414
American Public University System
The Configuration Analyst will work on the Software Configuration Management team to support the tracking, building, configuration, integration, and deployment of software applications into the American Public Education Inc (APEI) test and production environments as well as the test and production environment for which there are shared services. This position will report to the Director of IT Service Delivery & Production Support and provide support to Systems Analysts, Business Analysts, Developers, QA Team members, System Administrators and Project Management personnel who work together on teams producing software applications and integrating both in-house and external applications into the University’s systems/networks.
- Builds and troubleshoots software releases and hotfixes.
- Completes assignments and assigned tickets in a timely manner.
- Deploys software and database packages to test environments.
- Prepares deployment packages plus instructions to give to the System Administrators for production environments.
- Maintains configuration files.
- Creates code branches and performs merges between releases.
- Adheres to and promotes compliance with company build, configuration management, and data security policies/procedures, both individually and for developers and other IT personnel with whom he/she interacts.
- Ability and desire to take ownership of work assignments and drive tasks to completion accurately and on schedule in a timely manner.
- Able to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment and keep pace with a fast paced development cycle and weekly/daily hotfixes as required.
- Strong attention to detail with a high level of accuracy, skill, and quality in performing CM builds and creating packages.
- Responds to support requests from Director, IT Service Delivery & Production Support and senior team members.
- Flexibility to adapt to change and new policies and procedures as defined by the Change Manager.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Fast-paced, dynamic work environment.
- Standard office environment in Charles Town, WV
- Core coverage hours of support are Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm, but this position will share an on-call rotation to provide emergency build support on occasional evenings and weekends.
- Requires reliable high-speed home Internet connection to be able to provide emergency support.
- Carries work-provided smart-phone and laptop for on-call work/work from home.
- Experience in Microsoft PC desktop operating systems (Windows 10, Windows XP or Window 7).
- Ability to work with core Microsoft applications in a Windows environment with some exposure/support to UNIX environments.
- Ability to provide build/release support by e-mail, phone, remote assistance, and face-to-face; professional demeanor and good communications skills are required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good problem solving and analytical skills.
- Flexibility in an ever-changing environment.
- A good sense of responsibility is required because this is a core team supporting other University teams who depend on the output of this team’s work.
- Ability to work efficiently in a dynamic, expanding environment, both with and without direct supervision.
- Ability to learn the fundamentals of building and deploying all software products used at the University.
- Attention to detail.
- Accurate reporting skills.
- Willingness and ability to learn new technical skills and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree or experience in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business or a related field required (along with associated computer coursework if the degree is not in IT/CS).
- Familiarity working with PC laptop, Microsoft environment and/or UNIX environments preferred and standard windows environment tools like Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word/Excel etc.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server (TFS).
- Strong knowledge of DevOps and Agile methodologies.
- Strong knowledge of .NET technologies.
- Experience working in a commercial, for-profit environment preferred. This is a very fast-paced and dynamic environment.